HybridZ

Fuel with Turbo can't full throttle

280zNHChris

I just realized my wastegate was disconnected(they threaded it and put a nut to increase length). I never knew what is was like to drive "under boost" it would always hit 7 psi then start pinging bad. So it was always balls out or no turbo. When I hooked the wastegate back up I can drive under boost now and it is awesome, but if I nail it under boost if coughs and pings at around 4000 rpm, but if I give it 2/3 to 3/4 gas it will rev higher and keep going to 6500rpms.Car runs great. Do you think I need a better fuel delivery to the injectors? I don't have a fuel pressure gauge. I have the stock rail and an aftermarket fuel pump(doesn't look hi perf.). Other than that the car runs great. It's a 72 with an 81 turbo and 77 electronics (ecu,turbo afm,dash, interior), n/a distrib., 60mm t/b. 2.5 exhaust, t-5, r200 open diff. 3.9. I just got some fuel rail stock that is huge. I plan on making the rail myself and keep the barbed injectors. I also am not sure of the injector size(they could be turbo stock). I just got a megasquirt 2.2 and edis and intercooler, plan on putting that all on the winter. Now I'm wondering if all I need is better fuel delivery.

Thanks Chris

Dude.... you just need to have a pro tune it. It sounds cobbled together and you have NO gauges or feedback. If you gotta drive it before you get MS2/EDIS, have a professional shop tune it with a wideband and have them listen for detonation, read plugs, etc. There are plenty of maps in the megasquirt forums to use as a reference of ballpark timing.

Turbo tuning is a careful science; not throw this on, weld that, etc. Detonation can damage your motor before you can even hear it. All it takes is the wrong tune and a few tenths of a second to damage your motor.

Thats exactly what I did. I had holyrollerdyno.com tune it with a wideband and when we did it it must have been disconnected(the wasetgate) but it looked connected. The only problem is it idles at 1100rpm when warm and 2000rpm when cold. Because it is in many pieces it was impossible to adjust the afm for every condition, that is why I got megasquirt and edis but I haven't even begun to mount or install them yet. Still trying to get through the season with this set-up.

Thats exactly what I did. I had holyrollerdyno.com tune it with a wideband and when we did it it must have been disconnected(the wasetgate) but it looked connected. The only problem is it idles at 1100rpm when warm and 2000rpm when cold. Because it is in many pieces it was impossible to adjust the afm for every condition, that is why I got megasquirt and edis but I haven't even begun to mount or install them yet. Still trying to get through the season with this set-up.

If your wastegate was disconnected from the "vacuum" lines, you'd hit a LOT of boost; pretty much the maximum the turbo could put out. I assume you have a boost gauge?

Yes I have a boost gauge. It would actually start pinging bad and I would let off at about 7 psi, but it never seemed to overboost. When I hooked the wastegate back up and made the rod too short it would almost do nothing but show 5 psi boost then jump to 10psi and start pulling. Backed it off, now it seems about right. If I have the flash I might get it dynoed this weekend, but there is an autocross on the same day. I'll keep messing with it.

Yes I have a boost gauge. It would actually start pinging bad and I would let off at about 7 psi, but it never seemed to overboost. When I hooked the wastegate back up and made the rod too short it would almost do nothing but show 5 psi boost then jump to 10psi and start pulling. Backed it off, now it seems about right. If I have the flash I might get it dynoed this weekend, but there is an autocross on the same day. I'll keep messing with it.

Have you had all the piping leak tested? Something doesn't sound right.