HybridZ

260 vs. 260 2+2 body panels

Guest atw1

I havea 260z and also a 260z 2+2. My question, will the doors, front fenders, floors from the 2+2 fit on the coupe? I have already worked out all mechanical problems for the coupe and it runs and stops very well. The 2+2 is just a parts car. What all will fit the coupe?

will the doors,
No, However that would have been obvious by parking them side by side.
front fenders
Yes
floors from the 2+2 fit on the coupe?
They are longer, however I believe the seats are still in the same place. The only other thing you will have to look for is that the 2+2 is officially wider than the coupe (But I believe that this is in the bum). So the floors may actually be a little wider.

Best bet for the floors is to get the tape measure out and Measure, Measure, Measure. I am sure you know the old adage, measure twice, cut once.

"only other thing you will have to look for is that the 2+2 is officially wider than the coupe (But I believe that this is in the bum). So the floors may actually be a little wider."

No, the cars are the same width. The difference is the length added behind the seats for the rear seat legroom.

Everything from midpoint forward on the rocker panels is pretty much compatible. The pinchweld around the windscreen is thicker on the 2+2...but I doubt you will be using that portion of the car...

I do not have the 2+2 yet. I will picking it up this week. The coupe has some bad cancer on the floors and the fenders, eye balls, and hood need to be replaced. The sheet metal on the 2+2 is perfect. There is no rust on the 2+2 anywhere. The battery tray is even good. All the interior is in perfect shape also. I have already worked on the coupe to get it running. I was going to use the 2+2 for parts. I think I may be able to cut out the floors in the 2+2 and only use what is needed for the coupe floors.

Yea, I thought about it. But I do not have the title for the 2+2. So it would be difficult for me to get a plate for it. Anyway, I already have the coupr ready to drive. It just needs sheetmetal work and paint.

A Friend gave me the car. He can't find the title and I told him all I want is parts anyway. Maybe I will have him sign a bill of sale, just to be safe.

Sorry Tony, thanks for pulling me up on that one.

I thought that they were the same width, but found this website before I posted.

It may be an australian only thing, or the website may be completely wrong.

http://www.zshop.net.au/260tech.htm

Look where they measure width---it's the mirrors, not the body of the car!

That is the reason Fairlady Z's are 'narrower' than the Euro/N.A. cars as well, they have the fender mirrors so the car is measured at the 'fender blisters' being the widest point.

This is one of the reasons the JDM market Z31 Turbos had such funky looking fender blisters---they were abbreviated with a wider 'flange' around the edge to keep them within the 2-liter tax class.

Also on the weight, my 75 Fairlady Z 2+2 weighed 2695# with me (255# at the time) in it, so the weights also differ between markets.

If you want to check dimensions, check the JDM specifications, and you will see they are all within the proscribed 1550 (I think) mm width restriction for the 2-liter tax class, save for the Fairlady 240Z and the ZG---they were already in the '33' Number Plate catagory, so were basically given unrestricted width so the overfenders were left on and homogolated into the specification.

I digress....

As for the questions regarding title and plates, things are different here garvice...waaay different than most of the UK's former colonies. We broke with the motherland before advent of the automobile, so their influence is not as pronounced in registration/transfer requirements as it is with other former colonies. If only they had the '3 of 5' rule here in the USA, I would be a happy man rebodying myriad Z's with good paperwork, but rusty shells more easily replaced than reworked! Technically in California the only people who can 'part out' cars are state registered breakers and similar businesses. But enforcement and public outcry would force legislation change if they decided to actually follow the useless laws put in place to shelter this constituency or that...

I politicize...LOL

• 11 months later...