HybridZ

2 questions about noises from my 280ZX engine

PhilbertZ

Hi guys - pushing the n00b envelope even further with these 2 questions.

I've done a valve adjustment twice now on my 1980 NA 280ZX - runs great...but I've noticed some noises that I can't figure out with the engine.

Noise #1:

Exactly at 3800 RPM - either revving up or revving down - I hear this rattling noise coming from the engine. It sounds like a heat shield is loose and rattling but i've checked many times and all those are mounted tight in the engine bay - can't find anything loose in the bay at all. Doesn't affect performance at all - it's just a metallic rattling sound that happens every time I cross 3800 RPM.

Noise #2:

At idle and with throttle, there is a "ticking" coming from the engine. At first I thought it was the valve lash since I had adjusted the valves (twice) recently. However, when I listen close and put my hand to the valve cover and other components, I notice that the valve cover DOES NOT seem to be the source - it instead seems to eminate from the injectors/fuel rail (circled in image below - not my car - just an image I found online to indicate the metal tubing I'm talking about):

engine280zx2_FUELRAIL.jpg

Should I be worried about these noises?

What are the sources of these 2 noises? It's driving me nuts not knowing...

Thanks in advance :)

Thanks guys.

Are noisy injectors BAD or just...noisy? the ticking sounds like it's paced normally with the RPMs - does not get worse really... Can they be remedied with anything like an additive or is that all bunk?

I'll look more into the 2800 RPM rattle source - thanks for the tips!

BigPhil found some that are really quiet. It is normal.

Just out of curiosty, do you still have the mechanical fan?

I believe the mechanical (belt-driven by the motor) fan is what I have. Previous owner was original owner and kept everything stock to myn knowledge. I've seen the "electric fan" mentioned several times here as an aftermarket upgrade...what are the benefits/drawbacks of converting to electric?