HybridZ

Rb26dett Fuel system help.

Zreddy

hey guys,

I've been searching and reading a bunch of threads on people's fuel setups, but i still cant figure out what to go with. Like working on my subaru is pretty much bolt on simple to me. But for this project, its alot more complicating as it looked. I mean i understand everything else about the swap, its just figuring out how to build my fuel system for my setup is the problem. Plz help me out... At least some advice on things i may have not read or input on your 71 240z setups.

thanks

are you wanting to put together a huge power fuel system with a fuel cell and a massive external pump, or something a little more subtle? if you want something subtle, a stock tank with an external walbro pump works well, or you could even rip the tank out and make some custom baffling. as far as custom set ups with fuel cells, external pumps, and braided lines go, the sky is the limit. give us some more info on what youre doing and what goals/needs you have and im sure we can all be a bit more help.

I am doing my fuel system at the moment. I have a website (see my signature) and the whole thing will be on that shortly, however if you email me I will send you photos and the blurb so far to your email address.

In regards the circuit in general terms see below:

Fuel tank feed line to the filter – dash 6 stainless steel braided fuel line

Filter to the Facet pump - dash 6 stainless steel braided fuel line

Facet pump to Surge tank - dash 6 stainless steel braided fuel line

Surge tank to the Bosch pump - dash 8 stainless steel braided fuel line

Bosch pump to the inlet manifold - dash 6 stainless steel braided fuel line

Inlet manifold return line to surge tank - dash 6 stainless steel braided fuel line

Surge tank return line to fuel tank - dash 6 stainless steel braided fuel line

The fuel tank I am fitting bigger internal lines and screw fittings for the dash 6 hose attachment on the outside

are you wanting to put together a huge power fuel system with a fuel cell and a massive external pump, or something a little more subtle? if you want something subtle, a stock tank with an external walbro pump works well, or you could even rip the tank out and make some custom baffling. as far as custom set ups with fuel cells, external pumps, and braided lines go, the sky is the limit. give us some more info on what youre doing and what goals/needs you have and im sure we can all be a bit more help.

Well i have an r32 rb26dett coming in, and right now my goals for the car is basically just being able to start it and drive it. I wont be modding the motor or anything anytime soon and i'll be using the stock ECU for now. Maybe 350whp or 400whp at the most for the car in the near future if possible. But i think i should just do everything big the first time so i wouldnt have to do it again later. The thing is i dont know the first step in building my fuel system. Right now im just looking at manuals for the Z and getting familiar with the fuel system. What are your guys' goals or numbers with your fuel setups?

Thanks again guys for your help. Alot more helpful than the subi guys in the forums when i first started. lol

with 350-400rwhp as your goal i really see no immediate reason to go much more than and external walbro pump. if you really feel like that is not enough then you could do dual external walbro pumps and a baffled tank. if that still doens tickle your fancy then yes a set such as a fuel cell with -6 lines should suffice. this is only my opinion and there really are so many other combinations as far as pump size and hose sizing goes. i believe there is actually a z on here with an rb25 high hp running on dual external walbro pumps. i hope this helps. feel free to ask more questions.

all i would add is don't skimp in this area or take any short cuts,leaning out under boost can be an expensive exercise with an rb26

use a quality fuel pump(or 2 in case 1 fails),make sure you have adequate voltage under ALL road conditions(don't rely on 30 year old Z wiring in this area...see an auto-electrician if you have no idea),remember that pumps are rated at certain voltage for flow,some sound good until the voltage drops,can't go past the bosch 044 imho.

like mike,make sure you run a surge tank because the Z's are not well baffled in the tank area and you don't want the pick-up starving or sucking air.

make sure that none of your fuel pumps are sucking up-hill(their efficiency is drastically reduced,they can cavitate and get hot which shortens their service life),this means having the first one as close to the tank pick-up and below the in tank fuel level

i replaced the in tank pick-up with 1/2" metal tubing,but not sure you need to for 400hp??

use good quality race fuel line(won't distort under heat thus reducing flow)and solid fittings(not walmart 10 for a dollar type)

a fuel gauge is handy to keep an eye on your fuel pressure as there is no safe way of seeing if there is a problem in that area

if you use 2 pumps of differing flow rates be careful that you don't have the bigger one overpowering the weaker on and doing funny things with the fuel flow

remember that there is also a regulator in the circuit that establishes line pressure(40psi+),don't be tempted to go for a rising rate regulator to boost fuel flow through your injectors if they are maxing out at a given HP,some say this is a cheap fix.....until an injector fails without warning to cope with the excessive pressure and seizes followed quickly by the demise of your engine!!!. rule of thumb work on 85% max injector duty cycle,above this play it safe and get bigger injectors

worth also getting the stock injectors tested ,(who knows what they have been subjected to by the previous owner),for fuel flow and pattern,they should be within a few percent of each other

last but certainly not least,make sure you have adequate filters in the system,don't use crappy small ones that can severely limit flow if only slightly dirty....i use the type with the screw on metal filters the size of an oil filter,think they are designed for trucks(look much the same as a remote oil filter setup)

i know the above sounds a bit daunting,it's not,mainly common sense and a bit of thinking about what is doing what,it's worth doing it right in the first place as you should not have to worry about the fuel side of things after that

good luck

I did something a little different and went with a completely stock install - well as much as was possible anyway.

I mounted the R33 GTR in tank pump in a 260z baffled tank and connected the GTR fuel pump control module.

I have run the car at full throttle up hill, down hill, round corners and through the gears in a straight line - seems to work perfectly with no ill effects. Oh yes and the best bit is that I can't hear the fuel pump or feel its vibration when stationary or at any speed.

If your interested see my install thread with pics http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=135471

Cheers

I did something a little different and went with a completely stock install - well as much as was possible anyway.

I mounted the R33 GTR in tank pump in a 260z baffled tank and connected the GTR fuel pump control module.

I have run the car at full throttle up hill, down hill, round corners and through the gears in a straight line - seems to work perfectly with no ill effects. Oh yes and the best bit is that I can't hear the fuel pump or feel its vibration when stationary or at any speed.

If your interested see my install thread with pics http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=135471

Cheers

Yea i actually came across that thread a couple days ago, good work... If anything i may try that if i run out of ideas. Thanks for throwing that out again.

Guest RB2fast4ufool

I also have a 1971 240z, I am doing an RB20DET swap to. Can I run the stock Fuel tank with a walbro fuel pump? I was told it would still starve the engine under hard turns and exceleration? So I am working on finding a 1975 280z gas tank. Is this true or can I run stock tank with walbro?