HybridZ

car weight effect on lap times

Can anyone give some information on how impact impact does reducing the weight of a 240Z race car have on lap times?

The reason I ask is I am currently stripping the interior of my track/road car

and would like to know what sort of gains to expect.

cheers.

There isn't any kind of algorithm like, "100 lbs less equals .1 second faster lap" so you're not going to able to quantify things exactly. Race series that use weigh adds (rewards weight) typically do it in 50 lb. increments with the first "reward" being 150 lbs. That's usually enough to move a car back one or two finishing positions.

General consensus is that making a car lighter is never bad unless you upset the weight balance.

For road racing weight reduction is always better, unless rules get in the way. Weight distribution is not as critical was weight reduction. ITRs have a 63F 37R weight distribution and they get around a race track pretty fast.

Can anyone give some information on how impact impact does reducing the weight of a 240Z race car have on lap times?

The reason I ask is I am currently stripping the interior of my track/road car

and would like to know what sort of gains to expect.

cheers.

The best weight loss interior parts to remove are the heater/ventilation parts in the dash and the original seats. The original steering wheel is also quite heavy. You probably won't notice the difference but it obviously all helps which is why its done.

Then you add the weight back in by strengthening the body :)