HybridZ

who has ever used a Quaife (Gleason-Torson) differential

blueovalz

TimZ, the only locking type of diff I've ever used was a Detroit Locker, which was an "on/off" type of locker (I was very happy with it). I just was curious as to what charateristics the Gleason shows as far as the unloaded wheel spinning, breakaway torque, etc. Just general information about how well you like it or how well it works compared to a clutch type diff.

I've had one on my Z since 1999 and was part of the original deal that got Quaife Engineering to start producing the diffs for the R180. I think Ross helped get them to start building the diffs for the R200.

I autocross and track my 240Z and the Quaife is probably the single best thing I've done to the car to improve its handling. A diff improves handling you ask? Yup, here's why:

Previously I had the Nismo clutch LSD and had to run a preload around 70 ft. lbs. to get it to work in the tight turns of an autocross. Unfortunately, with that kind of preload the diff induced a lot of corner entry understeer, similar to what a welded diff does. To compensate I had to run a lot of rear spring so that I could get a lot of oversteer under trailing throttle. This made the car a bit tricky to drive. At higher speed track events the car would get downright scary if you weren't on the throttle in a corner. I also had to replace the clutch packs every year becuase they would be completely worn out and the diff wouldn't work.

The Quaife (and a Gleason/Torsen) works like an open diff during corner entry and doesn't try to influence the direction of the car. It allowed me to soften the rear springs and move some roll stiffness forward, balancing the car's handling. I can also apply more power on corner exit and drive the car more like a traditional road race car as opposed to a dirt tracker. In addition, the only maintenance I've had to perform is to change the fliuds.

Be aware that a Quaife (or Torsen/Gleason) will go "open" if you significantly unload an inside wheel. It needs a small amount of load (at least 5% of total load) on both wheels for it to work correctly. Once the load is reapplied, the diff will start working again. At low speeds and high torque input this could cause very abrupt behavior: the car suddenly starts going where the rear wheels are pointed. Good suspension tuning practically eliminates this issue.

IMHO the Quaife is worth ever penny. Figure about $1,500 total including a complete rebuild of the diff (bearings, seals, and setup).

Also, check this thread out from a few weeks ago: http://www.hybridz.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=000555

• 2 years later...

Update: I've finally put some miles (street mile though) on the Gleason-Torson differential. I find that It makes hard (spirited) driving in the corners more controllable, and as John said, adds some amount of input into the way the car handles in sweeping curves. I've not learned how to use it fully at this point, but was initially surprised at the amount of on-throttle under-steer/trailing-throttle over-steer charateristics in comparison to the open differential I had before. If the clutch type is more pronounce than this type of differential in this aspect, then I can see were it would be scary at times.

I'm glad I installed this part as it was well worth it in terms of the driving experience.

An update:

Some Quaifes can have problems from the factory. I know of two, one of which was the second one I purchased. The diff tends to go open much more easily then it should. In my case, with 300hp pushing it, it would go open all the time and the car basically undriveable around a race track. I sent the diff back to Taylor Race Engineering and they sent it to Quaife UK. Quaife said, "Nothing wrong." Taylor had already fixed a Quaife diff in a Viper that showed the same problem - they increased the internal preload on the diff. I have yet to test the diff they sent back to me with that fix.

Another point:

Suspension changes with the Quaife tend to be more drastic then I originally thought. I want to do some more testing, but I think I'll be moving to a more east coast Z suspension setup (no rear anti-roll bar and bigger front springs) to see if that helps put the power down better.

Guest quadcamZ

I am asuming it is a replacment centre or at least an exchange housing arrangment who retails these and how much are they?