HybridZ

Quaife Sequential 5 Speed

johnc

Guest Anonymous

Whoa! Man, a sequential five speed... I must say I like the shift pattern kinda hard to screw it up.. haha.

I won't ask, but I'll bet your wallet almost floats out of your pocket I'd imagine. Let us know just how cool that is thing is to use! icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

Hey John, what gear ratios did you end up with? And what diff are you going to mate it with? You'll have to report back when you get it installed and tested. I was looking at them when I bought my A.T.B. diff. Now I can wait and see how your install goes and if you like it (right like you won't) icon_rolleyes.gif .

Ruben

'72 240Z

Trans ratios:

1st - 2.39

2nd - 1.69

3rd - 1.21

4th - 1.00

5th - 0.87

With a 3.90 rear and 25" tall tires (275/40-17 Hoosiers) my speed in gears (@ 7,000 rpm shift point) are:

1st - 54.7

2nd - 77.4

3rd - 107.7

4th - 130.8

5th - 150.4

With a 4.11 gear take 3 to 8 mph off those speeds. I'll be running an R180 with my trusty Quaife diff.

Another cool thing about the Quaife, its got an electronic output that indicates what gear your in for the engine computer. I'm running a DTA Fast P8Pro computer which can take the trans input and automatically retard timing and interrupt ignition when I upshift. I don't have to lift off the throttle or use the clutch. The engine computer does it for me! Just foot to the floor and bang, bang, bang!

And the REALLY cool thing about the computer - its got Launch Control just like the F1, Rally, and Touring cars! I just have to figure out the wheel speed sensors. Just foot to the floor, clutch in. Green light, sidestep the clutch with the foot flat on the floor, and then bang, bang, bang up the gears.

Or, maybe, bang, bang, bang there go the halfshafts...

Sorry, I put my post twice.

And you have a custom clutch to match the input shaft spline of the Quaife box, right?

I bought my P8Pro 6 months ago and it is still in my room. There were many things to put it but I don't have my own garage. I've already put crank angle sensor and teeth wheel. So the ignition test can be done and it worked. Now I am planing to put an idle control valve.

Regards,

Kazu

List prices are:

Rocket/Sierra (Ford Based) sequential 5 speed dog engagement: $5,310.00.

Rocket/Sierra (Ford Based) sequential 6 speed dog engagement: $6,060.00.

Quaife 5 speed sequential dog engagement: $9,095.00.

Quaife 6 speed sequential dog engagement: $10,195.00.

The difference is in hp/torque capacity. The Rocket/Sierra can handle 300hp/300ft. lbs. The true Quaife transmission can handle Viper levels of horsepower/torque (600/600).

Other comparable prices:

Jerico 5 speed - $6,000.00

Lenco 4 speed - $7,000.00

Oreca Racing T56 - $10,000.00

A big part of my decision is weight. The Rocket/Sierra with the optional aluminum case will weigh about the same as the Nissan Type B transmission I'm replacing. I'm also running a Quartermaster 5.5" multi-plate clutch and no flywheel. The whole package will weight about 45 lbs less than a stock Nissan clutch/trans.

Yes, I've lost my mind again. I just ordered a Quaife Rocket/Sierra sequential 5 speed dog box to sit behind the Sunbelt 3.0L L6 in my car. I guess I'm approaching this HybridZ thing backwards - from the chassis and driveline instead of from the engine.

Hey John, how can you have NO flywheel, you push start your car ?? coollook.gif

i've got the same Qmaster 5.5" dual setup. -

i imagine your running the reduced diam with the offset starter?

what class do you run your car in?

havent seen any GT2 nissans lately that were competitive.

be interested to see how the sierra holds up to the HP,

a 3L nissan should be pushing over 300 HP so your at the limit of the tranny. the only bad thing i have heard about them is that they are very low to the ground and usually end up lower than the motor (IF you have a dry sump setup and drop the whole driveline for a lower COG)

i've got a Saenz 780 in my car. dog rings but not sequential. the no clutch shifting is SO COOL....

i think sequential adds a weight penalty to SCCA racing of 100 lbs.

I have a flex-plate the same diameter as the stock flywheel. The decision to finally go with the Quaife came at the last minute so I will not be able to relocate the starter. Maybe next year.

I'm building the car for autocross competition in the SCCA Street Modified 2 class. I will also do a number of time trials and open track events. The car only has a roll bar and I've been reluctant to cut up my perfect dash to put in a cage. I think once I see the speeds I'll be getting at tracks like Willow, the cage idea will become pretty important.

No dry sump yet. I've had to draw the line somewhere so I can get the car together by the end of this year. Again, dry sump might be a "next year" thing.

• 9 years later...

John,

Might be stretching your memory a touch, but how did you find the quartermaster clutch? I am looking for someone to advise me and help me spec things out for the conversion I am starting, VK56DE mated to 370z 6-speed into my 280z.

There prices seem reasonable (just within my budget), but I'm concerned about a lack of support/dealers in California I can annoy to help.

Any suggestions/experiences/input much appreciated.

Dave

PS. Woo, thread resurrection!

I don't know if you saw, but I did toss around a few ideas about this in your "Transmission Advice Needed" thread. Ultimately it all comes down to exactly how much help you need to "spec things out". If you're just wanting basic setup help and replacement parts dealers are fine, but not for much more than that. If you're looking for technical help creating a 100% custom installation of any brand clutch into your application, there are very few dealers in the support network for ANY brand of clutch will be able to provide you with any such information. The best and first place to go that kind of help will be directly contacting tech support at the manufacturer to see what information they can provide you. If they are willing to help you, they will singularly be the best resource to provide you with the critical dimensions and measurements required to make a custom installation work with their product. And if you're basically needing them to do what Quarter Master calls (or at least called) Make-To-Order, where you provide them with the necessary parts and/or all necessary dimensions for them engineer a kit for you, expect it to start getting prohibitively expensive for a 1-off personal project.

And again, if you can't get the help you need directly from any of the manufacturers, let me know and I can try to provide some guidance.

Edited by Driven5