HybridZ

lack of fuel on L28E

Guest michanic220

Guest michanic220

alright so i got this posted up on Zdriver also.

i bought a Z car not long ago and the engine ran. but the guy let it sit for like a year and the fuel system got plugged up (fuel rails, injectors, etc) well we cleaned everything. and all the injectors are spraying perfect. one of the injectors wouldnt give us a reading. it was making the DMM jump around, but its still spraying just as good as the other ones. but there not spraying enough fuel to run the engine. i got good compression, good spark. and timing is right on the dot. i pulled the injectors out and left them connected and cranked the engine over. there all spraying evenly just not enough. i put a paper towel infront of them and from 4 turns im getting a light nickle size (money wise) spray. the fuel is all fresh. im getting 50 PSI at the pump and 30 at the fuel rail from the regulator.

everyones telling me to check my temp head sensor and a few people told me to check the o2 sensor. what other sensors control how much fuel the engine will put out?

this is the reason why im going to have a carb'd v8 instead of a EFI I6 =]

thanks for all the help.

Guest michanic220

forgot to mention that it starts up and idles perfect when you spray gas in the intake..

we had it running before but it was barley running.

Guest michanic220

yea, checked all the connections on all the sensors. it wont run period.

it was before but it was running really crappy because it was starving for fuel. even when i jump the cold start injector it will start up run for a second and die. like i said i had the injectors pulled off but left them connected, cranked it over like 4x and all i got was a little quarter size light spray of fuel.

Guest michanic220

yep, has a brand new fuel filter on it.

everyone keeps telling me the CHTS (head temp sensor)

but i dont see why the engine would change fuel flow from heat.

i can see where the o2 sensor would (my "sensor" light is on)

the only other thing else i suspect is my regulator gone bad but we get 30 psi at the rail.

read the EFI bible and you will find your answer.

All answers ARE contained within. The computer is a simple simple little machine about as complex as a digital watch, and it measures a handful of parameters, ALL of which are used to calculate the correct amount of fuel.

In other words, any sensor your car has, PROBABLY has something to do with the fueling.

ita linked to in like 29347322 different posts here, it is on blue's tech tips page, it is on xenonsomethingorother's website (xenonxii? xenonZ? something like that)

I dont feel like searching for a link, but at least half of the results of a search of the term EFI bible here on hybridZ should have your link. Quite honestly, that is why no one has really showed up to point you towards your answer.. its been done athousand times before and the only reliable way to solve your problem involves you reading that book and not us trying to interpret your posts and diagnose from miles away.

Sorry to be blunt, but this IS a blunt sort of forum :)

Guest michanic220

nope, deffinatly doesnt make it more rich.

it shows no difference between it being plugged in, or unplugged.

i've pretty much gave up on this engine, its for sale for $500 for NA engine and 3 speed auto, 20,000 miles on it, great compression and spark. just wont get fuel. it will sputter tho, so its getting some.

im doing a engine swap soon.

• 2 weeks later...
nope, deffinatly doesnt make it more rich.

it shows no difference between it being plugged in, or unplugged.

i've pretty much gave up on this engine, its for sale for $500 for NA engine and 3 speed auto, 20,000 miles on it, great compression and spark. just wont get fuel. it will sputter tho, so its getting some.

im doing a engine swap soon.

Honestly..I would say that is your problem right there. Well the start of your problem. If it doesn't change with it unplugged or plugged in. Then the CHTS is bad. Because on my '82 n/a..when I unplug that thing. My car will either run like crap blowing out white smoke. (while running pig rich) Or just plain...not run at all. Anyway I know you have given up on your engine. But I wanted to point this out to you anyway. ;)

Guest michanic220

lol, thanks. actually i want to get it running still even doing the swap. i'd like to get tripple webbers for it but there expensive. anyways ill post a video of what its doing. if you let it sit for sayy uhh 5-10 minutes and crank it over it will start right up. idle fine for about 5 seconds and die from lack of fuel. you can spray fuel in the intake and keep it running. and it runs perfect. but once you stop it cuts off after a few seconds. ill post a video of what its doing.