HybridZ

How do I check and adjust my timing?

luvmy280zx

Hows it going everyone. I just bought a 81 zxt and I beleive the timing is off. It drove hella sweet for 2 weeks and is now giving me sum issues. It backfires out of the intake and exhause when reved up. It hangs at 70mph at 3500rps and wont accelerate past that. Instead of checking this forum i decided to spen almost 600$ on parts like a new maf for no reason I think. DUH!!! Could someone out there in Z land plz give me sum guideance on how to time my zxt and what it should be timed to! Also, has anyone else had this gripe? If you have plz tell me exactly what you did to fix it!!

Thanx a bunch.:?:

Sounds like you need to search around and learn the basic nuances of these cars. There are a lot of maintenance items you can go over.

As far as timing, you need to rent/buy a timing light. IIRC base timing is 8-10* BTDC, though I've heard people talking about tuning it way higher for performance gains. Someone else can kick in for advice on that.

On the turbo I don't think you can adjust the ignition timing. The NA is 8-10* BTD, but I believe the turbo runs considerably higher timing. In any case, it might pay to do some research on the site. Also search the site for a Factory Service Manual. You can download them from one of the members here who has graciously taken the time to scan all the manuals he has or has been sent into PDF.