HybridZ

Porting oops

naviathan

I finally got around to finishing up the rough work on the intake ports in my N42 head. Bad news is ports 2 and 3 now have a hole in them. One on the short radius in 3 and one just up from the short radius in 2. Those are the only two ports that had any issues. I remember reading a thread a while back about filling holes like this with some kind of metal epoxy and I wanted to see if anyone out there remembers this? If I can't fill these holes then I'm going to have to pull the E88 off my 77 and try to just smooth the ports as I'm a bit shaky about porting now. This was just a gasket match job and two ports broke through. The rest are fine so I wonder if it was just a shift in the sand molds from the factory or if I really went to far down? Anyhow, thoughts?

There really is NO grinding needed on the short side radius, just some very crafty polishing a bit of re-shaping. I am betting you KILLED flow by messing with that short side radius, especially if you broke though. I have ported pretty extensivly, and broke through on some spots, but always up in the roof, or the sides of P79 heads.

So what you're telling my is this one is done for? I was trying to model the short side after the P90 more because it has such a nice smooth run right into the combustion chamber. Everything I read online about porting in general said the short side was very important. Maybe that just stands true for Chevy and Ford?

Never gasket match! Port match and there is a time and place for mismatched ports too.

the head is probably toast. will cost more to fix the holes then it would to get a new head and start over. Yes, the shortside is a very touchy subject when it comes to the flowbench #'s and for most 2 valve engiens you dont want to take much material out of this area. If you are hitting water like that there is a great chance you are removing way to much material to begin with. I would focus more on shape or even send the next head to a professional and maybe study what he did before grinding your next one.

Sometimes when I have customers that want to get their own hands into the ports I just have them pay me to complete one cylinder and let them copy it to the rest of the head if they dare. Its not what I recomend but there are many that think its a great way to learn.