HybridZ

Loose connections

Before my car ran fine but the battery never stayed charged because the altenator was bad. Now the altenator is replaced and it doesn't even start now. I took pictures of some wires that were disconnected when I got the car and I couldn't find where they go. Can some of you look at them and see if you know anything about them? Also check the wires on the back of the altenator to make sure I have them right.

HPIM0661_thumb.jpg

HPIM0662_thumb.jpg

HPIM0663_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I put the altenator on. I hooked it up exactly how the old one was, it's a 74 but the engine is a L28. I think all the carberation parts came off of the L26 that used to be in it, not to sure though. I don't know where all the connectors came from, maybe from the previous owner eliminating the AC and stuff. That's why I'm asking here.

I feel pretty stupid...I spent like half an hour looking for possible shorts in wires because I found one at the connector that goes to the distributor. Then I was stumped and then I was like..."Ok, what was I supposed to do before anything else?...hmmm....CHECK FUSES!!!" and I did and I found 2 10A fuses blown already and gotta go back and make a list of others that are blown before I go to the store and buy more...That should have been what I did before anything else, but nooooo. I thought I was to smart for that :P *Pounds self on head*

I feel pretty stupid...I spent like half an hour looking for possible shorts in wires because I found one at the connector that goes to the distributor. Then I was stumped and then I was like..."Ok, what was I supposed to do before anything else?...hmmm....CHECK FUSES!!!" and I did and I found 2 10A fuses blown already and gotta go back and make a list of others that are blown before I go to the store and buy more...That should have been what I did before anything else, but nooooo. I thought I was to smart for that :P *Pounds self on head*

Ill give you credit for admitting you did this LOL.

Seems you still should figure out the situation with the "spare wires" though.

Evan

Well, the fuses wasn't it. One was for the HVAC fan and the other is probably the radio or the wiper motor because those are the only things I didn't test to see if that's what it fixed. I wish I had someone here that could help me. I don't have someone to cycle the key for me while I'm under the hood, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

if you charge the battery then put it in it wont even start? internal or external voltage regulator alternator? i had a 77 that got wrecked and it had a f54 block/p90a head...found a 78 for cheap...(registration and inspection still say aug 91 on them lol...but sshhhh!!!)so it hadnt been driven in a while. anywayz...when i dropped the motor in the 78 it would run and ive driven around a lil(ssshhh)but it wouldnt hold a charge. the alternator i had was externally regulated, got an internally regulated one and bingo....charge light went off, stayed off, and have no problem cranking or running the car. i doubt this is your problem...but make sure you check it out if you havent already. dont want to risk a fire or messing anything up...im surprised i didnt lol

jeremy

You say the engine is carbed? That could be where all the loose connections came from EFI--->Carb.

Does the engine crank, or does it just sit there?

EDIT: I think the loose connection of the underside, side the connection to the reverse light switch.