HybridZ

Did I Over Torque My Head Bolts?

Hey guys, I had to remove my driver side head due to a broken exhaust stud. I bought new a new GM MLS stock head gasket and new matching bolts (1-10 are all the same length) for my 5.3 2004+ iron block.

Okay, I found LS1HowTo.com and their head swap write-up. I followed the instructions on first torquing the M11 (1-10) bolts to 22lbs and then turning another 90 degrees, then another 90 degrees. I did this to all the M11 bolts since they are same length. Well today I read in a "How to Rebuild LSx" book that I should of only turned the M11 bolts to 70 degrees on my final pass.

Am I okay or do I need to replace those head bolts (again)?

Thanks!!!

You won't be able to feel it if you only overtorqued by a small amount or got into the yield range by a small amount but if they yielded by a decent amount you would have felt it.

Hey guys, I had to remove my driver side head due to a broken exhaust stud. I bought new a new GM MLS stock head gasket and new matching bolts (1-10 are all the same length) for my 5.3 2004+ iron block.

Okay, I found LS1HowTo.com and their head swap write-up. I followed the instructions on first torquing the M11 (1-10) bolts to 22lbs and then turning another 90 degrees, then another 90 degrees. I did this to all the bolts since they are same length. Well today I read in a "How to Rebuild LSx" book that I should of only turned the M11 bolts to 70 degrees on my final pass.

Am I okay or do I need to replace those head bolts (again)?

Thanks!!!

I'm saying you'd probably feel it.

so politically correct! smart man! :-D

sorry, I've got nothin for you. I did over torque my clutch bolts once, read the inches as lbs, don't ask, no I didn't keep going till they snapped. It didn't do anything substancial, just backed them out a lil and torqued them to the proper setting. Its been a over a year and no issues and they are constantly spinning. Different beast I know, but similar idea.

Usually when a bolt really starts to fail, you will feel the torque it takes to turn the bolt get slightly softer and then softer, and... You get a sinking feeling in the pit of your stomache. You can, of course, have only slightly tweaked it such that it will eventually fail and you won't know it until later. Bottom line is nobody can tell you 100%. My "edjumucated" guess is the extra 20* torque angle may well be within the safety range of the bolts.

If you want 100% then you really aught to remove them and install new ones. I'd imagine you have fluids back in it now...

Well in my "professional" opinion I would say your going to be fine. Most guys I know don't even use an angle meter when using torque to yeild bolts. 20* isn't a whole lot when you look at it while tightening those bolts down. I don't know what you used but if it was me I would say your fine. I wouldn't worry about the bolt strenght, most torque to yeild bolts only have to be replaced if they actually stretch/deform. Some manufactures say to relace them after every use and some say to replace them only if they are stretched/deformed a certain amount.

Is the engine in the car or on a stand? If it's not in the car pull the head back of and replace the head gasket and bolts if your worried about it.....nows the time to do it.

Guy

most torque to yeild bolts only have to be replaced if they actually stretch/deform.

Guy

I don't know of any TTY bolts that don't yield (ie., plastic deformation) when you torque them to spec. On a side note, I know some manufacturers put their TTY numbers so close to the limit that sometimes you will do nothing wrong and they still go past peak and have to be replaced immediately.

EDIT: BTW, gorgeous car. I love the color. :-)

I don't know of any TTY bolts that don't yield (ie., plastic deformation) when you torque them to spec. On a side note, I know some manufacturers put their TTY numbers so close to the limit that sometimes you will do nothing wrong and they still go past peak and have to be replaced immediately.

Well I'm just going off experience. Nissan's TTY bolts only have to be replaced if they have been streched or deformed. We have specs on how thick it should be. When I worked at Dodge we almost never replaced the TTY bolts for Neon's. I'm sure some manufactures just have you replace them everytime. I know have broken new head bolts before while torque to yeilding them.

Guy

Well I'm just going off experience. Nissan's TTY bolts only have to be replaced if they have been streched or deformed. We have specs on how thick it should be. When I worked at Dodge we almost never replaced the TTY bolts for Neon's. I'm sure some manufactures just have you replace them everytime. I know have broken new head bolts before while torque to yeilding them.

Guy

Hmm, quite interesting. I guess they're kinda bending the definition of torque to yield, then. I guess every manufacturer is different.