HybridZ

1983 Turbo Conversion

whew41

Good evening to you all. Recently installed a turbo engine into my 1983 280zx. Having a issue with the turbo. While the exhaust is on the turbo will spit out oil and smoke out the exhaust. Take off the exhaust and it is fine. Have changed the pcv, checked all of the vaccum lines.

The exhaust has no blockage. I am lost what may be causing this. Your guidance in this would be very helpful. Help me get my now 280zxt back on the road.

Turboupgrade4.jpg

is it possible thta it's not smoke but condensation and carbon spitting out? which is an indicator or a rich condition, smoke however is a different story, when does it smoke? start up? WOT? the smoke what you cann black< blue? white? each indicates something different

• 2 weeks later...

Ok here is a update on my conversion. We have too issues. One the turbo itself needs new seals and bearing. When we let off the gas she will smoke as the oil was being pulled through the seals and out the exhaust. WE did have another issue once we reached 3000 rpm's she would spit and sputter. We looked at the fuel lines, injectors, timing, air filters, erg, oxy sensor. We finally removed the vaccum line from the valve cover and she ran fine. We then looked at teh air flow meter and did an adjustment there. Put the line back on the valve cover and she was being choked