HybridZ

T56 question

Wagz

I just scored a T56 on eBay and I'm hoping I didn't screw up. The tranny I bought is off a '98 LS1 Z28. I am (was) fairly certain I could mate this thing to a pre '84 SBC with the proper flywheel, etc.

I was just going back through my JTR manuals and both refer to the '93 to '97 T56. Is a '98 going to be a problem? They look like the same gear smasher from the pictures I have. Anyone have any words of wisdom for me?

Guess I should have asked you guys BEFORE I made a bid. bonk.gif

Guest Anonymous

Sadly I think your right, its an LS1 Pattern which bolted differently on the bellhousing (extra bolt on the top or something? I can't recall the deal on it).

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Wagz,

Indeed, unfortunately the t-56 from the ls-1 will only fit an ls-1, not an lt-1 or any smallblock older than an LS series. now if you got it at a good price, you might be able to trade it with someone, probably someone who sells t-56's often, like a good junkyard, for a trans with the older style bellhousing. I beleive that the LS t-56's aren't any cheaper or more expensive than the older style, so you may be able to get a straight off trade, and only have to pay the auction price.

I'd look into the prices on both the older and newer ones, and if they are roughly the same price see if you can find someone in your area who has a bunch that will trade you. It's worth a shot!

Good luck!

Kris

BTW.. what did you pay? Just wondering.

Man, I was hoping I could change out the bell housing and get this done. I just assumed the T56 in 4th gen. F bodies were all the same. I didn't even consider the LT1 vs LS1 differences. Oh, well. I'm sure thats why the JTR manual specified 93-97. bonk.gif

I paid $1100 for it. I'm not too worried about selling it. The local bone yards are asking $1500 for older trannies. cry2.gif

Guest Anonymous

I might see if any of those JYs are willing to trade, if they are that's a $400 savings

Just a thought, I'd rather try that myself, rather than hassling[sp] with selling it, then buying another at the same price, but, that's me.

Good luck either way,

Kris

"I paid $1100 for it. I'm not too worried about selling it. The local bone yards are asking $1500 for older trannies."

Be careful, we all know the 93-97 trans have a demand and thus that higher price. The LS1 trans is (well was a year ago anyhow) very available at lesser prices as their is little to no demand for it. The only guys swapping out OEM 93-97 T56's I know are either die hard road racers having them rebuilt or hardcore draggers putting powerslides or TH400's etc in their place. If their was a polite way to step out of that deal I'd pursue it myself. Another yard has no way to tell the trans you want to trade in is known good etc.......

good luck with whichever route you follow, given the plethora of chevy guys on ebay I'm leary of anything chevy at a price that seems less than market.

There is a way to mate the two... you will need a 1/2 inch spacer to go between the trans and the bellhousing and the bellhousing is missing one mounting lug on the upper right hand side (not a problem if you run a late model block)... Depending on what kind of clutch and pressure plate combo you use you may have to space the hyd. throwout bearing tward the clutch...

I have seen this done but the spacer was made by a machinist for NASA out of a peice of half inch 6061t6 plate.. so unless you have a freind who is good with a mill and owes you a favor this could be an expensive adaptation... but it can be done...

Do a search we discussed this some time ago. I will look and see if I have notes on the measurements for the differences....

Later

Ray....

Thanks for the input guys. However, I got lucky with the seller. I let him know that I was going to send the check for the '98 and resell it on my own. He didn't want to sell me something I couldn't use. Very cool (and understanding) guy. icon_biggrin.gif

He has several trannys in stock (mostly 98 and up) but he does have a T56 out of a '97 he just got in. It's out of a wrecked Firebird with 25k on it. He's going to go through it and call me next week when it's ready. I dodged a bullet on that one.

Now, to get the motor torn-down...

BTW - I found two write-ups on the net that say the input shaft and the plate(?)on a '98+ T56 can be swapped out with the pre '98 parts to work.

The guy I am buying the tranny from also believes that this will work. Although, he admits that he hasn't done it yet himself.