HybridZ

Mazda rx7 lsd diff into a 240z?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello guys,

I was wondering if anyone has thought of putting a mazda rx7 LSD differential into a 240Z? I found one in the junck yard and was thinking about buying it. The mounting of it would almost be the same as the datsun diff but i took some measurments and the mazda mounts are a little shorter. I know I should go with looking for a R200 lsd which would make it much easier but there hard to find these days. Maybe u could use the internals of the rx7. Give me your thoughts. O and the rx7 was like a mid 90's when the body was rounder.

Thanks,

Zeezee,

That would be cool to have another option for a rear end, but I think you will be forging new territory. If you go this route, document it well, so others can follow if they want. Have you considered the R230 viscous LSD unit. It has been done (and they are very plentifull) so if you don't want to do all the R&D for the RX7 unit, this is an easy swap. By early next year, or maybe even later this year, I will have all the parts together to offer a bolt in kit for the R230.

Tim

Guest Anonymous

Tim,

Will you be documenting all of your work on your site? I've been to your site countless times,it has really inspired me to creating one of my own. If I go with the RX7 I will document as much as I can. Right of the bat it looks very possible with welding new mount post narrower and lower on the rear frame. The post look almost the same as the datsun one. What I mean is its just a long stud comming out of the frame where the urethane mount up to. Don't know how it will handle the torque but its another alternative and creative thinking. Maybe someone with RX7 experience will help us out.

Zeezee,

I am taking tons of dig. pics. and once the Z is done I will build a web site that will explain everthing I've done (much like many of the other guys here have done, so some of the info will be duplicated). But I will provide indepth tech. discussions on this site and to anyone who cares.

Tim

Umm, check the ratio on that RX7 rear before you get too excited. It's likely to be pretty high since the RX7 have so little torque. Don't be surprised if it's a 4.11:1 or thereabouts. Might be nice in an L6 with OD but for a V8 it's a big no go. I'd say go R230 but the halfshafts etc. still need to be figured out....

Man, they would have to be stronger, considering a Q45 is well over 4000 lbs with big tires and a V8. One of these days I'll have to crawl under mine to see what the heck it really looks like. I have never had a problem with the car so I have never been under it icon_rolleyes.gif

Davy

Yeah, obviously the Vette swap is nice...VERY nice, but I think that it's apples and oranges. The Vette IRS will take a heck of a lot more labor to install, and the amount of cutting and fabbing is extensive ( if the pics of Scottie's are anything to go by). The R230 is 'almost' bolt-in, in comparison. The main driving force which made me do the R230, is the LSD. R200 LSDs are getting more rare, and by now are getting 20 to 30 years old. The Q45 unit I picked up for $280 is LSD and is from a '94 car.

Tim

Guest Anonymous

The Q45 CV shafts are BIG. If any are interested, I can take pictures and post them here. The Q45 R230 swap IS the way to go if you don't want to do too much work and brute strength is a concern. Look at it this way, there's a company called Birkmire Automotive Design, also known as B.A.D. that is very well known within the Q45 community. Those guys have a Paxton-Novi supercharged Q45 that runs low 12's. This is a car that has a full interior, stereo, seat warmers, telescopic wheel and your usual amenities. They even run the bad blue bottle on occasion and they are running the stock Q45 suspension. Never had any problems. Nuff said. icon_wink.gif

I have some pictures posted already of the complete shafts next to the std R180 ones which will give an idea of their size.

Thanks for the info on that Q45, Sopdadope, it's the first time I've seen some real world info on the strength of the Q45 rear.

Tim

Guest Anonymous

Interestingly, I have a friend stationed in Osaka, Japan that tells that in to Nissan street racers in Japan, the Q45 is the holy grail of parts cars. For Silvia and late gen Fairlady's, it's the norm to swap in the Q's diff and CV shafts. To my knowledge, quite of few of the fastest drag nissan's in Japan use the R230. Anyone remember the the 7-sec HKS Skyline-powered 180sx? That had an R230. Needless to say, if 600+ hp drag cars run these things it should be more than sufficient for our applications.

Guest Anonymous

Cool, I'm all down with the R230. Sounds like we all agree that this is a better swap. As to why I posted this question was to really get a good discussion like this going. I hope someone gets some good detail information of this swap out. It would definitly benefit all of us since R200 are so hard to find and when you do find one its too expensive and hard to trust.

Guest Anonymous

I already own an R230 rearend without shafts and as soon as the bolt in kit is ready that puppy is going to slide right in! Talk about cluch drops,watch out Darius, rolling burnies will be the norm! Thanks to Tim in advance!! You da man!!

Guest Anonymous

May be a silly question but what car and year are the R230's from? I want in on this setup too. O and Tim I saw ur pics, looking awsome. I want to get on the wagon too.

OMG, I see an upgrade coming down the pike for my car...

Got a Spicer 2-2-899 adapter for the R200 input flange today ($42 at a driveline shop) and man that thing is dinky!

Tim, what kind of flange are you using for the pinion of the diff and the mating driveshaft?

Guest Anonymous

The R230 diff came in the Infiniti Q45's, from the '90-94 model years and the twin turbo 90-96's. The '95 Q45 and N/A 300ZX's may have it but I wouldn't bet the house on it as the '95 year was a very downgraded version and the N/A Z's had many different drivetrain components from it's TT brethren. Incidently, the '90-94 Q45 and auto 90-96 300ZXTT had identically 4-speed transmissions, arms, knuckles but I think the Q came with wider diameter shafts.

I'm planning a trip to the yard tomorrow to see if they've had any Q's in.