HybridZ

Mazda rx7 lsd diff into a 240z?

Guest Anonymous

Tim,

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that have found (2, one is a spare) LSD R200 diffs. Just curious on the length of those CV axles and how do you plan on adapting them to work with the existing stub axle and the companion flange? This area has always been the Achilles heel on the old Z cars. Also, what is the final drive ratio in the R230. Thanks.

Danno74z

Danno,

The sideshafts will use the inner CVs on the outer (bolt on flange), and will use an adapter to mount to the companion. Owen has a picture of this adapter on his site (if its up). I am working on something which may work well, and solve several problems in one shot. I don't want give it away yet, until I see if it works.

The ratio in my LSD R230 is 3.56:1

Tim

Tim,

I haven't found Owen's site yet but I think I have it. I went to your site and I’m looking at the picture that shows both the R180 and the R230. The axles to the right that have the yellow lettering on them are the R230's. If I have this correct you are going to remove the cv end that has the splined axle shaft (yellow lettering on housing) and replace it with the 7 or 8 bolt end. Is this correct? You then need 2 pairs of axles to make the one bolt on set. Is this correct? Then make an adaptor to the companion flange and your set. On the overall axle length are you ok with the Q45's? The Z is such a narrow car - just asking

Danno74Z

Here's what I found with a quick search on RX-7

Gear Ratios:

RX-7 12A '79-'85 3.909

RX-7 12A '84 3.933 part year

GSL-SE '84 4.077 thru 11/83

GSL-SE '84-5 4.083 12/84 up

One source says "All RX-7s with rear disc brakes have LSD" (sure makes it easy to spot one in the junk yards )

"1984-up models use larger axles, so the side gears in the differential are correspondingly larger-splined axles" - I wonder if either is the same size as a Datsun axle. Which then gets me thinking: would the allegedly plentiful Mazda LSDifferential possibly bolt into a R-200 case? Or just the guts (viscous? plates?)onto the Datsun gear set? Well then I see something that sizes Mazda Ring gears by size and its (AIR) only 6 1/2" (why not mm?) which is way smaller than a R-180 (7") and a R-200 (7 7/8") ring gear.

Mazda RX-7 experts....jump in any time.

Mark

Guest Anonymous

I looked through their archives for a while... I had forgotten just how crappy other forums can be, made me realize what an awesome group of people we have here icon_cool.gif

Here is a little tid-bit I found that may be of interest... This is off an 85-91 RX-7

attachment.php?s=&postid=236612

Looks similar to an R200 w mustache bar doesn't it? What do you guys think?

This is the only thread I thought was worth reading...

http://www.rx7club.com/vforums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27712&highlight=rear+end

this on the other hand, is complete garbage...

http://www.rx7club.com/vforums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20343&highlight=rear+end

Jimlab has posted here before in response to one of MY postings in a previous flame-war they had over there. I used to post some in the RX7 forums too and I DO still read them some but I've decided to sell my RX7. My reasons are mostly what Jim talked about except that at my present HP level the car is pretty reliable (needs clutch).

So why sell? Because I want MORE and becuase, like he pointed out, there aren't many rotary places around that you can trust much less find. I'd have to goto KD Rotary in PA to get quality work and stand in line too. Peter F. is actually just up the street from me (literally), think any of the local rotary guys trust Peter The Pirate? I've only found a few.

So, I'll sell my RX7 and buy a Supra instead - then I can tinker! icon_smile.gif Frankly, I'd LOVE to install an LT1 or a Supra motor (that swap has caught MANY eyes!) in the RX7 but the car is worth too much money and the swap too expensive. The RX7 isn't my second car it's my primary car, the Z is my second car icon_biggrin.gif Mustang is third icon_rolleyes.gif

You'll find flamefests like that one on the ZCar WEB site too if you dare post about a V8 swap - lately though many just point them here which is a welcome change. Many purists in the Z, RX7, and Jag camps are just plain short sighted twits! bonk.gif They give knee-jerk answers to people asking honest questions about engine swaps. As a result you'll find that more than one "oddball" swap has visited our humble home here. Some have been invited, some have simply noted that we accept orphans that have been ostracized from other forums for daring to speak herasy (sp?) concerning an engine swap and wander in. I've seen several post tenatively testing the waters to see if they'll get flamed before jumping in, it's always a shame that people have to worry about acceptance.

Frankly, I enjoy those visits just like I appreciate oddball swaps. V8 in a 914? in a 944? 911? Jag? Rotary in a Miata? Z? 510? Supra motor in an RX7? (hell YES!) In a Z? Rover motor in an MGB? (pics on my site) All good so far as I'm concerned. I only wish there was a forum as supportive as this one that could cater to all of those oddball orphans who get cast out by purists elsewhere. Unfortunatly there isn't but at least we can help out those who're interested in the Z and maybe lend assistance to those others where we can by virtue of our experience. We can also give them the confidence that they aren't crazy and shouldn't listen to the twits who have no vision and would bring them down.

Yup, I love this forum more so than any other and I post to a pretty wide range as time permits. I think the attitudes we have here generally rock, it doesn't take long visits in most other forums to figure out that we've got something special here. WooHoo! ugg.gif

Guest Anonymous

Right on Jim... This forum really is exceptional Again, I'm sorry to hear that you're selling the Rex, but I hope you'll be happy with the Supra. Wonder if there have been any V8 swaps into the JZA80 flamedevil.gif

The RX7 is a fine car, mine handles like a dream and people STARE at it constantly when it's on the road. Frankly, that part of driving it is pretty disconcerting and it took me a LONG time to get used to it. I have NO doubt the Supra will get fewer looks, I don't mind.

I've honestly never heard of anyone swapping a different motor in for the Supra TT engine. The reasoning is pretty simple really - the stock motor doesn't lack for much! Many of us want to swap motors because the original motor doesn't meet our needs, stock bottom end Supra TT motors have made WELL over 500HP without ever being really opened up... I DO see some Supra motors being swapped around - into RX7 and into Lexus that originally came wiht the N/A version of that motor. FWIW - there are apparently significant differences between the N/A and TT versions.

I'm just waiting for someone to drop a Supra straight 6 into a Z. I'll take measurements for anyone that wants them when mine shows up in a few weeks but from the brief eyeball I've already done I'd say it's a go. Toyota factory NEW shortblocks go for aboout $2K. Grab a junkyard head, some accessories, and fab a header or buy one from HKS - it would SCREAM! I really want to see this. Supra 6speeds go for about what a T56 does I'm told ($1700 I've seen already) and I've been told that they have been known to handle as much as 1,000HP. I find that amazing and am skeptical but they DO take 500 pretty easily it seems. Who's going to do it first? icon_wink.gif

P.S. Scottie looked at a Supra rear suspension. To keep this somewhat on topic - has anyone else considered that rear? I've never seen a good pic or drawing of it though unless Scottie posted some. They apparently handle 500RWHP pretty easily. cry2.gif

Guest Anonymous

Damn... you make it sound like the Supra is a sleeper! I can imagine that car attracts its fair share of attention, with those boy-racerish looks, not to mention that huge spoiler its got.

But back to rear ends... A Supra rear end sounds like a good idea, maybe even one from a JZA70 (3rd gen) I don't know how many of those came with LSDs. Anyone?

Guest needwaymorespeed
However we've still got stub axles to worry about guys - what can we do to upgrade these over the 280Z stuff-

Im still working on this also-actually found timwe to work on it yesterday-woo hoo-My solution was to make a custom hub carrier that allows the use of the r230 stubs-integral to the cv shaft if you look at them-

Been waiting on a structural analysis

from a mechanical engineer,still hasnt come, decided to proceed anyway talked with several people that buil sand rails and circle cars they all feel that this piece will be overkill.

Making the new knucckle from 5/16 4130

will allow me to utilize the tt 300z brakes-make sure you get the brakes from a tt car and not the

q45-tts are twin spot caliper and vented rotors-

I also engineered it to place the wheel mounting flange an inch further outbound -thus giving the car a wider track width and allowing the use of the 300 z wheels and the mustang cobra wheels without the expensive 1 inch spacers.

If interested in this search the archives under R230 or under needwaymorespeed in the drivetrain forum.

Curtis

I'll be interested in seein gpics of th eR230 knuckles and hwatnot when you're done. Unfortunatly I've already got a brake solution an dwheels too - I need something that fits within pretty much stock constraints (shrug).

As for th eSupra rear - I'd absolutely go for the latest gen as it's th eone I know is rock solid tough. Interestingly enough following a forum posting on swapping rear gears it sounds like the N/A Supra MAY have the same strength rear! Those ought to be cheaper icon_wink.gif Here's how the ratios stack up from that thread ->

turbo 6spd-- ~3.13

turbo Auto-- ~3.72

Na Supra---- ~4.2

One of those guys has a 90 300ZX and has swapped another motor in it, I've asked him to come visit and tell us all about his swap as there's always interest here in different swaps icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.supraforums.com/supravb/showthread.php?s=&postid=130257#post130257

Guest Anonymous

On the topic of the RX-7 diff... From what I've gathered over on the "hybrid RX-7" sites, the 2nd Gen Turbo diff is about the same strength of the R200. It's an 8" ring gear... ALL the other LSD's, disc brake or not, are 7" gear and won't hold up. There's a guy with a GN motor in his REX, and hasn't broken anything yet... He's at 11.60's so far. Apparently the 1/2 shafts are pretty tough, and of course have CV's.

IIRC, the 3rd Gen diffs aren't any stronger than the T2, but I may be wrong. malebitchslap.gif