HybridZ

small dents

Polarity

Hey guys, working on a 280ZX that has some hail damage, I've never done body work but the whole idea of the car is to learn. All the damage on the car is the same, about 1" in diameter and less than 1/10th of an inch deep. If anyone could give me the basics or maybe provide a link or two for some good reading I would appreciate it.

So you know my end goal is to do as much of the prep for paint as possible by myself. Any info would be great.

-polarity

81 280ZX LT1/4l60e

I would either 1) try dry ice and see if I could do anything with the metal using it first since it won't hurt anything 2) fork out the cash and have Dent Pro or another similar outfit come over and work the metal or 3) I would try a tool like the first one that uses glue on the dent and then a pulling device to 'pop' them. Serious body work is the last alternative (for me anyway).

Davy

The stud is welded in place with the "stud welder." Then the "ding thing" attaches like a pop rivet gun to the stud and allows you to pull the dent out while the ring presses against the surrounding metal.

A neat little trick the instructor showed us is that you can "barely" weld the stud in place by applying a quick pull on the trigger and acheive just enough of a bond/weld to pull out the dent. Then you can remove/reuse the stud by taking a pair of diagonal cutters and kind of press and grab hard around the base of the stud to pop it back off. (A little like pulling out nails.) This obviously saves on the studs but also results in very little grinding at the site of the attachment.

Hope that helps a little.

My ZX was covered with a large number of failry big dents when I got it. I found a guy who worked at a Dent Doctor type of place but who worked out of his home after hours. I am amazed at how perfect the body looks now. Get some estimates and see if you can find someone who has low overhead. I spent about $250 for the whole car (roof, hatch, tops of fenders and hood).

John

I spent about $250 for the whole car (roof, hatch, tops of fenders and hood).

John

That's what I'm talkin' about! NICE. I think $250 is a bargain to smooth out the metal on a car, especially one covered in small dents. I did something very similar with a Q45 I once owned.

Davy

No luck finding paintless here yet, I'm in a pretty small town. So far I can't even find dry ice. Anyone willing to ship some my way if I paypal them the money? Or maybe I'll drive the hour up to Shreveport and see if I can get my hands on some there.

-polarity

Polarity, I just watched a dent erasing technique on YouTube that utilizes compressed air (it's very cold) and a hair dryer (warm air). The effect was stunning and it is by far the cheapest way to go that I have found. It may also be worth looking into. Just FYI.

Davy

Just to let you know the hair dryer thing didn't work. It didn't make the metal very hot. I did however have a kitchen torch (ok, so I cook too) and I used that, it did pop the dent, but still not perfect. It now pretty much looks like a small crease. Any tips on getting that out. I have the Ding King in the mail on it's way to me, still not sure if that will get this out. What about things like body filler.

I really need to find some good reading on body work.

-polarity

Best simple bodywork book I have found yet is: How to Paint Your Car on a Budget by Pat Ganahl.

I think creases are begging for body filler. You might want to try some body work tools and try to tap them out. Clearly, though, if you used the compressed air/heat method and were able to get most of the dent out, that's SUPER. I have to try it on my Civic and see if I can get it to work...

Davy