HybridZ

Sound Deadening Question

PETEW

I am going to buy a roll of Raamat (which happens to be 62.5 sq ft). Is this enough for the entire car> I did a search but no one ever really said what it took to do a Z. I also would like to know how you guys did your doors. The RaaMaudio site show coating the inside of the door (the skin) and then the inside panel of the door (where the vinyl panel attaches). If you attach to the panel is it hard to put the vinyl panel back on? Thanks for the help. Another new adventure with the Z. ;)

I think I should be ok with one roll. It is 62.5 sq ft. I think the Dynamat bulk pack is only 30 sq ft. Did you guys leave the old sound deadening in, or did you strip it out. I would like to leave it in, unless it won't stay because of it. Thanks.

You need to chip out the old stuff. Sucks, but sound deadening material won't work if you install it over the factory material. Mine was so dry and brittle that it came off in big chunks when smacked with the sharp end of a tack hammer. It took the better part of an afternoon and isn't a lot of fun, but....taking it off also lets you see if there's any rust underneath.

If you want the old stuff out fast, get about 15 lbs of dry ice and cover your old sound deadner in it. Let it sit for a bit and it will freeze and become extremely brittle and you can smash it with a rubber mallet and it will all shatter and come right out. Oh its also a good idea to run a fan if you have your head stuck in the car as dry ice is C02 which can cause you to pass out and asphyxiate. So than make you have good air flow and you'll be fine this is the easiest way to get that old crap out.

The bulk pack must have changed. If you look it up now it is a box with 9 4sq ft sheets (or 36 sq ft). That is why I didn't go with them. I would have needed 2 boxes to match what I got and one box is the same cost as the roll I got.

IMO deadener is useless unless you are running a resonator iin your exhuast system.

I deadened with probably close to if not a little more than 100sq/ft of my interior (full spare tire/hatch area, seats, drive tunnel, firewall what i could get at) and with my 3" exhuast an no resonator i might as well not have put anything in. i wish i didn't. I may even take it out as god knows there will not be a resonator in my exhuast, ever.

IMO deadener is useless unless you are running a resonator iin your exhuast system.

I deadened with probably close to if not a little more than 100sq/ft of my interior (full spare tire/hatch area, seats, drive tunnel, firewall what i could get at) and with my 3" exhuast an no resonator i might as well not have put anything in. i wish i didn't. I may even take it out as god knows there will not be a resonator in my exhuast, ever.

Sound deadener is not really intended to remove major drone from an exhaust. It is possible to reduce it a bit though. If your car is that loud, its unlikely that you will see any benefit really..

I found less interior noise cruising on the highway and my car holds hot/cold in and out better as well (insulation).

I am planning on using thermal dynamat on my firewall, I get a TON of heat coming in through there.

Evan