HybridZ

Swapping B16a2 civic Si motor into the 240z

Well, at least the thread topic should've caught your attention icon_biggrin.gif

Been roughly perusing the forums for a bit, and I'm about to pick up a '73 240z and later on attempt the *drumroll* JTR swap. But lately I've been thinking about some things, and had some questions. I am sure these have been already asked many times, etc.

Do the typical chevy conversions use hydralic or cable clutch? Just wanting to know what kind of feel to expect out of the clutch.

Typically do you guys prefer to go with carbed zz motors, or fuel injected LT/LS1?

I noticed some people prefer 327 blocks...what's the advantage over a 350?

I know these are some pretty broad generic questions, but I'm just gathering up info for the future. I've read the JTR swap manual, but it doesn't cover everything.

Thanks,

-alex

[ May 15, 2001: Message edited by: auxilary ]

welcome aboard

i think most of us use a hydralic line to run the clutches in our cars, most likely because the z is set up for a hydralic system and its not that hard to get the chevy or ford trannies to work with some mods.

your budget and preferences dictates what setup to run. i reallyl like my 327, when i bought the car it had one in it and im not mad icon_sad.gif maybe ill throw an h22a in there and really rip it! if you want bezerk horsepower and torque, thats your discretion, if you want a balance of the two, also your choice, the jtr book will only provide the guidelines, i dont think any two swaps from any two members of this board are exactly the same, at some point the man behind the machine added his own personal touch to the transformation. hope this helps and good luck

Leonard

Yeah... that sure got my attention. icon_eek.gif

A subject like that from a new guy looks a little scary.

Anyway, welcome to the "Dark" side of Z cars. To answer your questions;

a) Most people use a hydraulic clutch for manual transmissions. The popular choice seems to be the T-56 found in late model F-bodies.

B)

I) I'd say a little more than half the people on this board run a carb. Fuel injection is becoming more and more affordable, but is still not as inexpensive (I say this, because nothing we do is cheap) as the faithful old carb.

II) A few people have the LT1 swap, a few people are in the process of LS1 swaps, and a newer member to this site has just completed an LS1 swap (we are all still awaiting pictures... ahem, DAN?!?)

c) Displacement of motors do not neccesarily determine it's "potency". A lot of people here like the idea of destroking a larger displacement motor for a few extra RPM's. Search the archives for "377 small block" and you find tons of opinions on this concept. A 327 is essentially a destroked 350.

d) Indeed, the JTR book does leave out a lot of time saving information, but it is the bible, none the less. Besides, there are enough people on this board to answer most any questions you might come across.

e) I'm doing an outlined style letter because it's late, and I'm anal.

Also, another thing I suggest new people do is to visit the links in people's websites. most people have them and it opens many doors for new ideas.

-Andy

P.S. How does that R/T run with all those mod's? I've heard dismal reviews about them in stock trim. However, a friends 98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited will run 15.0 all day long and is bone stock.

Guest Anonymous

Man, you ruined my big reason the honda engine wouldn't work... (turns the wrong way...) Oh well, good to hear, thought we had a wise guy turned loose in the HybridZ house.

Yeah as FairladyZ said hydraulic because its easy. You use the stock Datsun pedals and then just get a slightly bigger clutch slave. Cable could probably be used, but its more work under the dash and trust me thats somewhere you don't want to have to work... icon_smile.gif

Engine size is pretty much whatever you feel comfortable with and what you can find a deal on. Carb'ed or EFI, doesn't matter, fuel injection will generally cost more up front to buy and to swap because the 240's fuel system can't handle it without reworking it slightly.

If your serious about the swap, definately get the JTR manual. It gives you a good outline on what to expect, as mentioned its sketchy sometimes, but with this group, no problem at all. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Regards,

Lone

quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Bayley:

cP.S. How does that R/T run with all those mod's? I've heard dismal reviews about them in stock trim. However, a friends 98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited will run 15.0 all day long and is bone stock.

My car's more set up for track rather than drag strip, actually. It runs pretty well, addition of intake and pulley really improved throttle response and spin up. The header really helps pull at higher speeds, as odd as it sounds. I noticed maybe 15-20% pickup at around 100mph-120. The AF/X pulley gives about 30% less underdrive, yet doesn't affect the alternator charge nor A/C pump. It weighs about 1.5lbs, while the stock pulley (unbalanced POS) weighs somewhere near 8. I figured I'd just go for mods that actually do something.

I've been to the strip twice, and ran 15.6 as the best run. That was intake and mopar ECU only. I don't know what I'd run now, but I imagine somewhere in low 15s. Overall the car's great for track and autocross, handles very well for a dinky econobox.

quote:

Originally posted by lonehdrider:

Man, you ruined my big reason the honda engine wouldn't work... (turns the wrong way...)

actually, you probably could! The new RSX motor spins the opposite way honda civic engines spin. And for a change, that means intake manifold up front, and headers out back, instead of the ass-backwards setup honda has had for years.

quote:

If your serious about the swap, definately get the JTR manual. It gives you a good outline on what to expect, as mentioned its sketchy sometimes, but with this group, no problem at all. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Actually, I already have the JTR manual. What I was originally planning on doing is conning one of you locals into letting me drive a 240z with a v8 swap to see how it feels, and if that's what I want to do icon_biggrin.gif hehehe. I figured I'd go with the zz carbed motor and a bw t56 tranny for the combination. And reason I asked about the clutch is because I've driven my friend's mustang gt, and the thing has a cable clutch, which is pretty damn stiff and a PITA to engage. Thanks for the input, appreciate it.

What city are you living in? There are a few guys running V8s here. There are many who only lurk on this forum and never post. I'm completely convinced of that. I'd offer you a ride, but the project is still underway...

Call me in another year or so (based on the present pace...)

David

Hmmm, I live in the north part of Fremont near Union City. Do you have a Z or V8Z that you are working on? Have I met you before? If no, Len says he'll give you a ride--he's easy to hook up with and one heck of a guy! Me on the other hand...

Nice area you live in. Houses with garages, what a concept! Is this going to be a 240Z or what? If you want a 260Z to play with, buy mine! icon_smile.gif Ok, I reread your post and it's a '73 240Z. This wouldn't happen to be a white car, now would it?

David

[ May 16, 2001: Message edited by: DavyZ ]

quote:

Originally posted by DavyZ:

What city are you living in? There are a few guys running V8s here. There are many who only lurk on this forum and never post. I'm completely convinced of that. I'd offer you a ride, but the project is still underway...

David

Not too far from you, actually. In fact, same city icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by DavyZ:

This wouldn't happen to be a white car, now would it?

Unfortunately no. He decided to keep the Cobra Z and the white Z. and I REALLY wanted the white Z hehe. And it would be a great area for me with houses and garages, except that I live in an apartment complex, and don't have my own garage icon_biggrin.gif

But that's ok, I put the downpayment on a black '73 240z (I know it's a repaint, since 240z never was available in black). It looks something like this...

View?u=1063948&a=12872848&p=48662289&Sequence=0&res=high

So... anyone have a 3.9 rear end with an r200 shaft they want to donate to me? 3.36 kinda bites icon_smile.gif OH, and a pair of slotmags would rule too! I am an ex-employee of another .bomb, i'll take the free things I can get! hehehe

DavyZ, do you post as Rough Idle on zcar.com?

[ May 17, 2001: Message edited by: auxilary ]

No, Rough Idle is a good aquaintance of mine, Dennis R. His friend William is building that Cobra Z and was selling the 240Z. I never really looked closely at the car, but it looked decent. My 260Z is going bye bye Saturday and I'll be looking for a 240Z in the near future. If you end up with the black 240, make sure there is not rust if you end up doing a V8 conversion. It'll make things so much simpler.

David

By the way, no offense or anything, but I don't hang out much in ZCar.com because the format is just not appealing to me. I frequent ZDriver a bit and the moderators there are pretty cool guys--local too!

[ May 18, 2001: Message edited by: DavyZ ]

Cool. As for rust, only place that has rust is a little tiny bubble patch under the paint under the passenger windowsill. That's it, there's no other rust whatsoever!

Cool, maybe I'll have to harrass you guys for help icon_smile.gif I'm a newbie to Zs

Alright! One 240z in my possession. no dents, no rust, no accidents, no scratches. Paint's smooth as glass, and it's 10 years old. Looks like it burns a little bit of oil, has a small exhaust leak, rear left strut is blown, and it needs new tires. Aside from that, weatherstripping is still good, all lights work, and some basic suspension mods icon_biggrin.gif

Man, you are SET! That's exactly the kind of car to get for a conversion. A decent car that works & looks good, but the engine is on its way out; perfect! Let us know the juicy details when you get the chance.

Good score on one with nice paint--that (bodywork and paint)is sometimes the most costly thing to take care of, just ask Pete icon_biggrin.gif

David