HybridZ

Driveshaft woes

Cody 82 ZXT

How do I tell if I need to replace my U-Joints? I have a clanking noise coming from the back of the car and I'm begging to think that it's the drive shaft. Almost everytime I let out the clutch I hear a clank. Sometimes it is worse than others and I can sit in traffic and just barley engage the clutch and hear the clunk from the back of the car. You can even feel it sometimes.

I replace the rear diff. mount and that helped but, maybe that was only part of the clunk, Sould I look elsewhere?

icon_sad.gif

Normally a worn driveshaft is indicated by a vibration at speeds in excess of 50 mph. You'll feel and sometimes hear a rumble below your right shoulder that increases as vehicle speed increases. Replacing the trans and/or diff mount will make the sound go away for a short time, but it eventually comes back as the mount gets damaged by the vibration.

Crawl under the car and twist the drive shaft and half shafts back and forward (simulating forward and reverse). That should give and instant indication as to where the problem lies. It may be the bolts coming loose, or play in crownwheel and pinion or worn U-joints.

Tim

Guest Anonymous

Mine makes some clanking noises like this, I believe that it is my rear gears being worn, as the drive shaft has a little bit of play in neutal, not alot, but a few degrees. It kind of makes the clunking noise when I twist it. also, when pulling out my driveway, it often makes wierd noises after I backed up the hill and as I let in the clutch.

Maybe this could be your problem too,

Just a thought,

Kris