HybridZ

planning on buying a 260z....still undecided

badgti

guys,

i'm planning on buying a 260z instead of a s15 , this is mainly due to me wanting something very special that i can keep through the years..but i'm still undecided on this cos i am really curious if getting a rb26dett in a 260z is an easy job.

also , to you guys , which would make a bigger and better platform for performance, a s15 or a zed?

Depends. If you love the zed shape and you have a lot of skills and knowlage about cars etc etc go for the zed but be warned an rb26 zed is not an easy task. its not a car for the faint of heart either. You will need to upgrade brakes, suspension, driveline etc etc

An s15 is a lot easier option and at the end of it all, it is a better, more modern platform to start with.

That said, i owned my RB30det 240z and also an r32 GTR at the same time. I needed to get rid of one to make room, and i sold the GTR. Purely because the zed stands out from the crowd, I love the s30 shape, The zed goes harder, and driving it around knowing that i built it from the ground up gives me a sense of satisfaction.

http://www.drift.com.my/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25607

well this are some pics of the zed that i am plannin on gettin, any comments guys?

i've always loved ol skool datsuns , having owned a datto 510 and a 160j with fj20e in it, drivin ol skool really makes it totally different when u have the speed to go up against the newer cars.

thing is, would a rb26dett 260z be too much of a project that would take up too long a time to complete?i'm not really worried about engine works just wanna know the complexity of having a rb26dett in a zed..and, how does a rb26dett 260z handle?can it be up to par with newer cars?its mitsu evo country here where i stay so keeping a zed would mean lots of competition from the evo guys.

sorry for all the question guys but i really want to know b4 i go on buyin this zed off this guy.

you should really look at threads from people like Getoffmyinternet, or even josh817's L28 thread to get a sense of what's involved in any I6. Most importantly the electrical mess you'll have to deal with, but I think more importantly are the "while it's out of the chassis" parts.

for an RB26, you're looking at like 6000 as a base to do it relatively well. That may or may not include some rear disc brakes to help with stopping, but that's negligeable when you factor in everyhting else you need first.

read what others have been going through, I'm sure if you asked for a current price list on items, or guess you can get a good idea of what it takes to build a nice 26 zed

BTW, that's a 2+2. Never seen an RB26 in a 2+2 yet, so that'd be cool. and if those are momo's that I see on there, make sure they're not warped. I've had two friends that had no relation to eachother but had the same types of wheels on two entirely different cars that were all lightweight and those wheels were seriously warped.

If you love the old school cars go for it. Origonally when i put the rb20 in my 240 it took me 2 months of flatout work after work every day from start to finish.

Its not the first time its been done so its not too difficult. Its not really a bolt in and drive away but its not a massive project.

Handling, i have no idea about a 2+2 but i know a 2 seater if setup properly, will handle fairly well. On par with most of the modern cars. Not as well as my old GTR but it also had hks coilovers.

would a 2+2 260z be a good choice ?its almost impossible to get a 2 seater 240/260/280z here so it might be the olny chance i have at getting a zed.whts are the pros and cons of a 2+2 compared to a 2 seater zed?

I own a S13 lapping car and a 240Z street with RB20 and both platforms have great potential for performance. Both can handle the RB26 very well and both can be made to handle . You need to define how much performance you are looking for....what kind....and how you will use it.

Now the looks department starts to seperate the cars...while the S15 is a very attractive car.....its not as nice as the old skool lines of a 240Z. But thats my personal opnion. On the other hand I think this view is taken by many others as I can think of many times I have been approached and followed by people that admire the S30 lines. I doubt this will happen with a S15 ...not for another 25 years anyway.....

As far as how hard is it to build up the cars......if I can do what I have accomplished with my 240Z....anyone can. Its a matter of want desire and motivation.....and of course money plays a role. Know how and skill can be developed over time...Im living proof....lol!

Here is my Z ... www.ontariozcar.com

It sounds like you want classic ...collector.....keep sake....."special"...I say go for the 240Z.

thanks guys for all the support, its nice to know that this is a REAL forum with guys like urselves that give honest and practical opinions.i seriously appreciate all your advice.looks like i will trying to get my hands on a 240z and i'll skip the 2+2 260z till i find a proper 240z..