HybridZ

GM sensor placment questions

ZXT_bean

I am nearing completion of my megasquirt install, but i have some questions as to where to mount my CTS, and my IAT sensor.

as for the IAT i would like to mount it where the cold start injector used to be. just drill and tap for it. but i am unsure if the sensor can be after the Throttle body or not. if not i will drill and weld a bung on the factory J pipe.

DSCN0474.jpg

as for my CTS, there are 3 possible locations, there are 2 in the thermostat housing, and the one on the cyl head. which location is everyone using?

DSCN0477.jpg

DSCN0478.jpg

The intake gets a good amount of heat soak; I would go with putting it in the intake stream before the TB. As for the CTS, I used a carbed T'stat housing and drilled(9/16) and tap(3/8 NPT) on a flat spot near the stock gauge sensor. If you're using a stock EFI t'stat housing, drilling/tapping the stock ECU location should work just fine, just be sure that the t'stat can move without catching on the sensor.

I'm not running a Mega Squirt, I'm using a GM ECM to run mine, but I have the MAT (AKA "IAT", "MAT" is Mnifold Air Temp, "IAT" is Intake Manifold Temp), in the cold injector location, so far it seems to be working well. I have just been able to get the car running on Saturday.

The CTS I have installed in the Thermostat housing, in th elower left location in the pic you provided, drilled a 9/16" hole (specs call 17/32" hole, but couldn't find that drill bit), and then tapped for the 3/8" NPT, infact both the MAT and CTS sensors use the same thread. I went with that location for the CTS, since the probe would be more exposed to the collant than using the lower right port, where I had orginally installed it.

Guest mafiaz

omg i paid 30 bucks for 4x4 inch of aluminum than i drilled the 4 holes and now the machine shop wants from me 80 dollers for machining the center hole i was looking everywhere for the spacer but this iswhat i get for rushing lol your right behind me twisted have you done your board mods? i think im going to downgrade my firmware theres too much info and everyones screen shots are a littler older good luck keeep us updated

• Administrators

A quick search revealed this topic has been discussed and literally beat to depth in more than a few threads. :wc:

This particular thread linked below I feel covers the GM IAT sensor location placement rather well, specifically regarding Mega-Squirt and the L-6 with some in-depth info including MS datalogging reports...

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=115937