HybridZ

S130 Turbo Removal?

Willens

Probably a stupid question, but I'm basically a homeless guy with very limited tools, and trying to resource the best way to get this done. It is in a parking lot on jacks. Call me dedicated, call me crazy, makes no difference. I need your help, and I just bought this S130 (1982,) and knew SH-T about them until today, so there's a background on the story. And go...

what state you in?

trying to replace stock turbo? should need a 14mm wrench, flat head screw drive, downpipe bolts might be 17mm or 14mm, I think oil line is a 16mm

these steps might not be in the right order

pull off intake piping that is connected to turbo

pull off downpipe(exhaust), 3 bolts

Undo EGR tube, tube that is connected to intake and turbo exhaust elbow. probably use a crescent wrench

undo Oil line

undo oil drain line on the oil pan, hose clamp

unbolt turbo from exhaust manifold, 4 bolts

I am not sure if you need to take the intake manifold off... if you can get to the bolts you don't need to. AND I am not an expert on this so you might have to take the exhaust manifold off, I havnt tried to take the turbo off with the exhaust manifold on, never had to... Personally messing with the intake and exhaust manifold on the l28 is a pain, I think.

All good comments!

I just wanted to add that it is possible to remove the turbo without having to remove the exhaust manifold first. You may have to completely unbolt the downpipe though...

Also, it may be a challenge to detatch the EGR tube at the downpipe (most likely it is frozen) it is easier to do it at the intake manifold / EGR.

My $0.02, Good luck! :icon14:

All good comments!

I just wanted to add that it is possible to remove the turbo without having to remove the exhaust manifold first. You may have to completely unbolt the downpipe though...

Also, it may be a challenge to detatch the EGR tube at the downpipe (most likely it is frozen) it is easier to do it at the intake manifold / EGR.

My $0.02, Good luck! :icon14:

I cant remember which end I did first on the EGR... maybe I just cut it, I cant remember, its blocked off now.

Yes, the car runs, though about as healthy as Gary Busey's face. I'm quite frankly scared to drive it, the smoke that pours out of it is insane.

My main concern is that on the turbo flange, the bolts have these lips/raised edges surrounding the corners of the bolts. How the @#$% do you get around that? Bear in mind, I'm doing this in a parking lot with nominal tools. You can't see what's going on w/o removing the manifold, just as some of you stated, so I am trying to avoid removing as much as I can, and making this bearable for a parking lot job. I thank all of you for the input, and I look forward to seeing what else some of you have to say.

-Willens