HybridZ

Bad booster?

I was driving to work this morning. All was good and while at a stop sign, suddenly the brake pedal got hard and basically the power brakes were gone. Major pressure on the pedal still stopped the car. I babied it the last couple of blocks to work and checked the vacuum lines, check valve and fluid levels and all was good, but still no power brakes. I pulled the vacuum line apart at the check valve and put a shop vac on it and still no power brakes. I even bled the brakes and still no power brakes. I have never had power brakes die suddenly like this.

Does this sound like the "reaction disk" failure or is this a dead booster?

I received the booster from RockAuto (they deliver fast) and went to install it last night and found the real cause of the problem. As I separated the master cylinder, about an ounce of brake fluid poured out of the booster. So I ordered a master cylinder, it'll be here tomorrow. Thinking back: The day of Mike Kelly's shindig I noticed the level of the brake fluid to the front brakes was a little low. I thought that it was from the S12 caliper volume as the brakes were wearing down some. So I just added some fluid and went about my business... silly me.

I bought the 10" booster after reading some old posts saying that the larger booster will fit in the 280's. Well... it does fit, but just barely. Less than 1/8" at most clearance with the clutch master cylinder and it also took re-routing of some of the brake lines, but the fun was just getting the damn thing in place.... My AC lines run in the same area.

If all goes well, I'll be driving it again tomorrow.

Jody