HybridZ

Stock SU airbox conversion idea

Xnke

I have the original orange 1972 with the-winter-summer-flap-thingy on it. I have seen many, many pictures where the old orange airbox was replaced with dual K&N's, or had holes cut in it to allow more air in.

Why not retain the original filter, and cut down the airbox to look similar to the old round hat-type filters? you know, the top plate, bottom plate, expose the filter element all the way around type?

Something like this:

Original:

DSCN1690.jpg

Modified:

modaircleaner.jpg

And then paint it gloss black.

What do you guys think?

But, at the same time it can't be any worse than the K&N filters either. reason i ask is because what you can't see on this airbox is the extreme rust on the top and back corners...and the interior bottom, it just isn't showing on the outside much yet.

I think I'll do it. If it turns out badly, I'm sure I can get another airbox.

Japanese racers would flop the air cleaner end-for-end as they didn't have some of our emissions related stovepipes on it...and then duct air from the cowl area through the grille at the base of the windshield.

With no linkages in the way, they could do that. On a LHD car, it would be considerably more difficult.