HybridZ

Project VQ is Underway!

EMWHYR0HEN

You can do that but its pretty easy to just wire up the engine harness as I have mentioned several time, just trace the power requirements from the shop manual and the BCM wires...done, its not any harder then anything else you just have to have the immobilizer system for it to work (to my understanding).

You can use the timing components from an A32 Maxima VQ30DE and use the A32 ecu and not have to worry about having all the integral parts of the 350z system. But I imagine this would probably cost you some power since you'd be giving up the variable timing and the tuning of the 350z. But If you tune it with a standalone or something, you could probably get alot of that power back, but I don't know for sure.

Okay, so I've been looking at the wiring harnesses. If I'm looking at this right, there are TWO Fuse boxes right? One for just Fuses, and one with fused AND relays in it, right? It looks like you used BOTH these boxes.

Also, It looks like you used a few other boxes tied to your harness. I saw the BCM, on your tranny tunnel, What does the ACAMP do? Is that a required part? Your ECU is mounted under your Passenger seat next to the relays, right? What other Sensors did you leave in the system?

I know you cut out a lot of wire from your harness, what are some of the systems that you're not using?

Does your ECU throw CEL due to the missing systems?

I would also be interrested to hear what Austin did with his Harness' too. (n also he said his buddy was working on an aftermarket harness for swaps?)

Thanks

Phar

Okay, so I've been looking at the wiring harnesses. If I'm looking at this right, there are TWO Fuse boxes right? One for just Fuses, and one with fused AND relays in it, right? It looks like you used BOTH these boxes.

Also, It looks like you used a few other boxes tied to your harness. I saw the BCM, on your tranny tunnel, What does the ACAMP do? Is that a required part? Your ECU is mounted under your Passenger seat next to the relays, right? What other Sensors did you leave in the system?

I know you cut out a lot of wire from your harness, what are some of the systems that you're not using?

Does your ECU throw CEL due to the missing systems?

I would also be interrested to hear what Austin did with his Harness' too. (n also he said his buddy was working on an aftermarket harness for swaps?)

Thanks

Phar

i interested too

I don't remember all of this off the top of my head but i'll try my best.

There are two fuse boxes. One of them is located on the 350Z driver side kick panel which is the main fuse box. I relocated this one on my top of my trans tunnel along with the BCM. The other fuse box is located in the engine compartment of the 350Z and also has a few relays on the same box. That's now located on my passenger side floor. My ecu is located on the passenger side kick panel. The ac amp is only needed if your going to be using any of the stock gauges.

When you remove that many things to a newer car, of course your going to get a check engine light. However, it doesn't affect the engines performance.

I basically removed EVERYTHING that I didnt need. I couldnt tell you all the exact wires but to mention a few : ABS, traction/stability control, all gauge meter wires, door wiring, headlights, radio, etc.

what I did was lay all the harnesses out with a FSM by my side and pick an chose what I was going to keep (fan wiring, taillight wiring, fuel pump wiring etc) and what I was going to eliminate. double checked the plugs, colors, diagrams, and snipped away at the wires.

I was more interested in weight savings so technically you dont have to cut any wires off. If your confident with wiring then you should be fine with whatever you do.

Right, okay, AC am runs the Dash, that makes sense. You had the Engine bay harness, engine harness, and dash harness. Did you grab the IPC -intelligent power control do-hickey under the hood too? I'm not sure I need that. I got my engine harness on, but I guess it's the engine bay harness that connects the dash and engine harneses together. (my Engine harness only has 2 connectors into the ECU, leaving 1 open) My Dash harness has the BCM connectors, but no connection to the ECU or engine harness.

I am not planning on pulling out any wires until I have the engine running happily in the car. then I'll look at pulling unused systems. If you guys have extra unused sensors/modules, I might be interrested :wink:

Phar

Edited by Pharaohabq

• 2 months later...

A couple of questions...

It seems as if someone were so inclined, that they could possibly make a custom mount for the AC compressor on the passenger side above the oil filter location. I know anything is possible with money... but realistically is there enough room to do this?

Second, do you have any $$$ figures you can throw at us minus labor of course just parts.

1) Engine/Trans, wiring harness, ECU

2) Engine/Trans Mounts

3) Driveshaft

Just looking for a ball park figure for cost in parts.

Your swap and 240Hoke's swap are badass, simply amazing. Having that feel of a new engine in your car must be soooo awesome.

Thanks in advance for the extra info.

-Jose

A couple of questions...

It seems as if someone were so inclined, that they could possibly make a custom mount for the AC compressor on the passenger side above the oil filter location. I know anything is possible with money... but realistically is there enough room to do this?

Second, do you have any $$$ figures you can throw at us minus labor of course just parts.

1) Engine/Trans, wiring harness, ECU

2) Engine/Trans Mounts

3) Driveshaft

Just looking for a ball park figure for cost in parts.

Your swap and 240Hoke's swap are badass, simply amazing. Having that feel of a new engine in your car must be soooo awesome.

Thanks in advance for the extra info.

-Jose

Agreed I would really like to know the cost of parts for this.

jake

Thanks for the compliment JSal, Ill chime in here on cost....

I paid $3800 two years ago for the following:

- 2004 350z Engine with 300-400 miles on it

- All the electronics from the car (ecu, bcm, dash harness, engine harness, nats amp, and ignition switch)

- 6 spd transmission

- Driveshaft

I have roughly 7K in my swap when all said and done. But I spent big bucks on my fuel system and exhaust and didnt really skimp anywhere I dont feel...and I still need to drop in a real fuel cell because Ive having serious fuel issues below 1/4 tank. So tag on another 800 or so.

I think it is really nice to buy the engine setup as a package from the same car because you dont have to hunt for parts and get nickel and dimed to deep as late model parts are expensive. It would be worth it to me to pay the extra money and find a complete drop out with accessories. That being said though you can find engine for really cheap and piece everything together but it will require a lot more work and research. Electronic parts are EXPENSIVE if bought bit by bit from the junk yard.

I paid a FRIEND under $2500 for anything I needed off his 06.

I don't have the exact figures but spent more money on driveshaft work, FPR, and exhaust system.

If your not looking to do it yourself I could see this swap going past the 10k mark easy.

Yeah I'm at almost $3000 right now going the peice by piece direction, and I don't even know if all my parts will work together. so year, save a lot of headache and just buy all the parts at once from the same car. it'll save you a ton...

So, speaking of, you didn't say if you had extra unused modules laying about Emwhyr0hen...? maybe gauges and ABS parts?

Phar

I have read this entire thread and it has been very helpful. My hat is off to you guys. I was originally planning a VQ to 240sx swap. That was until I spotted Austin's and Myron's cars. I am now looking for a 240z. I have located a VQ from a 2004 G35 and am going to look at it tonight. It comes with two ECUs, (one auto, one manual), engine harness, all bolt on accessories like alternator, A/C compressor, 6 spd from a 2006 350z. I will be looking for the other wiring harnesses etc... I have a couple of questions. What do you guys think of this: The alternator appears to be smaller than the A/C compressor. Do you think there would be room once I move the steering shaft something like Myron did to install the alternator on the left above the steering knuckle which would possibly leave room for the A/C compressor on the right where the alternator originally had been? I live in Arizona. No A/c is not an option. I am typing this at 10:30 in the morning and its 108 here already and will be 115 today. It's make or break on the project. Thanks.

Edited by 40flash
spelling

If you have the alternator and compressor on separate sides and maybe custom mounts you should be able to make it work.

I visit my Brother in AZ once in a while so I know what your dealing with. I guess you don't have any other choice but to make it work. Good luck!

Yeah I've got the same issue where it doesn't get supper hot, it does get some hot here in New Mexico, I was thinking like you were, of mounting the Alt lower and putting the AC up higher where the Alt was, hopefully clearing the exhaust manifold. It'll probably take some custom bracketry but I think it might fit.

I've seen some V8 conversions mount the AC in front of the engine. but that's not very clean. the other idea we had was to use electric AC to keep things cool. it would be more self contained and could be installed about anywhere.

I'm going to try to put the power steering on mine too, but that'll be after I get it all installed and running. I'll use the subi rack and the 350Z PS pump.

Phar

I'm interested in knowing more about your electric A/C idea. I bought a VQ tonight with 6 spd and wiring. It didn't come with alternator, clutch, flywheel, dash wiring, fuse blocks, ign swithch, A/C compressor or keys. I will need all of that if anyone has some of it. I don't have a car to put it in yet but its a start. Price was right for what I got I think. The engine is from a 2004 g35 sedan. The trans is from a 2006 350z.