HybridZ

Project VQ is Underway!

EMWHYR0HEN

• 2 weeks later...

I've installed another muffler lol and hopefully this one is here to stay. It's a Borla XR-1 5'' round finished with a stainless 3'' tip. It actually quieted down alot for being a straight through design muffler. It's definately not as free flowing as my previous straight pipe setup. After installing I wasnt able to spin 4th gear and hardly 3rd but, maybe a good thing.

IMG_2521.JPG

IMG_2562.JPG

I'm also looking to get rid of my 4.11 rear end as the gears are way too short with the 6-speed. The stock 350Z rear end is a 3.5 so I think a 3.7CLSD might be best for my application.

I still havnt gotten around to make a decent recording of the car/engine. Until I can hook up with my Friend with a nicer digi cam my low quality camera will have to do.

Here's a quick Accel going half throttle 6k max. on a freeway on ramp. Just to give you an idea on how short the gears are I started in 2nd and ended in 5th around 5 grand.

Dave- You should have heard it with the straight pipe! Next time you come by we can go for a spin.

The Bilstien's feel good. They are just about as stiff as my old Koni 8610's. I'm probably going to get them revalved some time later as i'm not too happy with the rebound rate.

Z-ya Thanks! You know A VQ swap would make a hell of a swap for your current project.... I know your goals are different but if I could have swapped the VQ before the RB I would have been much happier even it was still my daily.

Z-ya Thanks! You know A VQ swap would make a hell of a swap for your current project.... I know your goals are different but if I could have swapped the VQ before the RB I would have been much happier even it was still my daily.

Agreed, but I'm sure the VQ swap is at least 2 times the work. I've got 2 other Zs that require my attention on a regular basis, and both are driven on the track. So I really wanted an easy swap, and with RB20 trans, it is looking that way. Been studying the RB25DE NEO schematics, and holy sh*t, I need to add 12 fuses, and 4 relays to the 240Z! Not quite as simple as a Megasquirt installation.

The RB project will be driven by my wife an daughter on occasion, so a VQ is a bit much. I've got my turbo Z for when I need a little "Woo Hoo!" :mrgreen:

I'm also looking to get rid of my 4.11 rear end as the gears are way too short with the 6-speed. The stock 350Z rear end is a 3.5 so I think a 3.7CLSD might be best for my application.

I know the "hot setup" for the 350Z guys was always the 3.9 gears for the N/A 6-spd cars. At one point when the 350Z first came out there was a Nissan 3.7 offering but I don't think thats available anymore. What diff are you running in there right now? I think the 3.7 would be a happy medium of short gearing without being too short.

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model=350z&cat=driveline&prodid=1726

Nice video...man that thing sounds good :cheers:

I hear ya on the 4.11, lol, no wonder you were spinning tires. Im running a 3.7 CLSD right now so hopefully I can share some driving impressions soon. Just driving it around the block first was soo short, with our light cars i think 3.7 is the max I would go.

You know, I've never really thought that highly of such short rear end ratios....

I know ALL about why, and when a racecar needs a 3.90 or a 4.11 or 4.40 or beyond, i've seen it on the track, but I still can't see myself ever having a Z with anything SHORTER than 3.70 gears, and I am not prone to abandoning my L series... This is of COURSE on a daily driver type car, but my 280 was driven with joy for 5 years with the stock 3.54 rear end on a stock motor, and I was HAPPY. I was THRILLED. Yes, i was young, dumb, and having fun, but I STILL don't see myself putting miata-esque gearing on my Z.. thats one of the larger things that separate the miata and the Z in my mind (both cars that I love)

Now, I'm not saying that I am quite in the 80's Supra camp, being a dog through 70 mph but then passing the camaro/mustang/bmw/whatever at 140 later on down the interstate.... but I've always liked shorter gearing.

When I saw you say "4.11 gears" on this car I about choked. then I ran in to tell my dad and brother that you were taking your 4.11 gears out (sooner or later) and ask them if we should try and snap an offer out quick. Then I came back half an hour later, scrolled down and read the rest of your post, and the others that followed it.

4.11 gears in a 6 spd VQ35 powered 240 track car.

Wow. WOW. (wow)

I've been watching your built for a long time and when you finally came out with that acceleration vid for youtube I damn near nutted myself....If only the VQ swap wasn't so hard :( So it's looking like an RB25 is what I'll end up with.

The VQ swap actually isnt that bad.

The RB and VQ swaps both need:

Driveshaft modding, engine and tranny mounts, a little bit of wiring/ learning schematics ( if stock electronics are uses) EFI plumbing, FPR, exhaust, and optional radiator mods.

With the RB youl need a rear sump oil pan and pickup, intercooler, I/C piping, and BOV. With the VQ youl need a different external shifter mount, mod the fuel rails, and trim the x-member. I think they're both equally as "hard", at least from my perspective.

If you do go with the VQ youl end up with a setup that has roughly 50HP more, 100 LBS lighter, and a six speed gear box. Not to mention youl have a powerplant that was sold here in the states so parts/aftermarket are readily availible.

Damn that is tempting...I wonder if my dad's friend can weld up some motor and transmission mounts for me...I do like the stock 350z instrument cluster..damnit you're doing a good job in swaying my decision on motors lol

DO A FULL WRITEUP AND I'LL LOVE YOU LONG TIME

Not to thread hijack here, but Smogsux if you havent seen it I have a pretty detailed site showed all the steps required to complete the swap:

www.vq240z.com

I also have a really nice Shifter Relocater that will be ready to purchase in a few weeks:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=141688

I will also more then likely be making mounting in the next couple months, including a engine crossmember and transmission mount, this is not a done deal but I am seriously contemplating building a jig and turning these out to help more people get the swap done...it really is a great engine for the s30.

Not to thread hijack here, but Smogsux if you havent seen it I have a pretty detailed site showed all the steps required to complete the swap:

www.vq240z.com

I also have a really nice Shifter Relocater that will be ready to purchase in a few weeks:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=141688

I will also more then likely be making mounting in the next couple months, including a engine crossmember and transmission mount, this is not a done deal but I am seriously contemplating building a jig and turning these out to help more people get the swap done...it really is a great engine for the s30.

I would be extremely interested if you do

I would be extremely interested if you do

+1, I can't weld :(

Oh and is there any way at all that you think the steering rack could clear that a/c compressor with a u-joint or anything like that? I saw you said there would be some tight angles, but anything too extreme? My goals are for a car that I can drive to the track in the summer with the a/c running, then scream around the track...I found out how much I like a/c after I stripped it off of my Rx7 haha