HybridZ

Fuel pump for carb question

Mycarispurty

So here soon I'm slapping some triple Webers on my 280Z, and I'm curious if I have to get one of those fuel pumps that mounts up on the engine like the 240Zs, or if I can get an aftermarket pump that fits back by the fuel tank like the 280Zs, that just happens to run less pressure so I don't blow my carbs up with 36psi of fuel pressure.

This might be a stupid question, but I've never had a carbed Z so I've never really had to pay attention to fuel pump options, and there is no stupid question, so I thought I'd just get it out there.

That is a pretty basic question actually. You didn't mention what engine you have. If your HP is pretty close to stock then the stock mechanical fuel pump would suffice. Going electric would be an option but you need one specific for carb applications otherwise you will be looking at adding a fuel pressure regulator as well. Electric pumps don't suck very well so they need to be mounted low and next to the tank.

I used a holley red fuel pump (7psi iirc) and a pressure regulator for my L28 with dual carbs. never had a lick of problems.

i have both for sale now that i have my ls1 in place.

if you are interested let me know and we can work something out and get them shipped to you

jason

Does it mount back by the fuel tank or somewhere in the engine bay or what? I just don't want to have to deal with putting one ON the engine, as I recall a Z car guy saying the stocker was driven off the cam or something. I don't want to deal with anything mechanical like that, I want to use all electric.

Do a search on this site for "weber fuel pump" and you'll find tons of options. After trying a bunch of options over the last few years, I've been very happy with:

Mallory Comp-110 pump w/ pressure bypass plugged

Mallory 4309 Return Style Regulator in the engine bay

Autometer Fuel Pressure gauge

3/8" aluminum send (and return!) lines

I have a fuel cell so the system goes cell->bigfilter->comp110->3/8" line->little filter->4309->3/8" return. Then the carbs are fed off of one of the ports on the regulator. It's important to have a good fuel pressure gauge when messing with this stuff, most Z carbs (SUs, Webers, Mikunis) like to see around 3psi.

This is probably overkill for a street setup but it is an option and it works for me. Remember all the pieces have to be matched to work together for optimum performance. Keep searching this site. You're not getting many replies to this thread since this has all been covered before...search is your friend!

-Rick