HybridZ

SR20 Sputters at idle

jessejames

I was running the car today and it sputters alot at idle. It was running fine at one point and then started. I've check all the vacume lines. I've checked the intercooler pipes. Sometimes it sounds like its going to die but does not. Other times it does. If i give it WOT it seems fine. I had a a friend whos a GM mechanic look at it today and he thinks its the number four sparkplug. I have not replaced any of the sparkplugs yet. I will be doing that tommorow. ANy other suggestions?

S13 BLACKTOP SR20DET 1994

1973 240Z.

MOTOR'S ALL STOCK.

I dont think its the fuel pump. When i give it more throttle it seems to rev fine. Its only around idle. Sometimes when I give it gas it seems to what to give up and then the moment i close it it revs up like a delayed reaction. I have a walbro fuel pump with atl Fuel Cell. I'm running hardlines under the car and braided lines in the hatch and engine bay. No leaks from the fuel system.

Hmm, My bad, missed the "fine at WOT" part of your first post... still sounds like insufficient fuel at idle tho. I've had an SR18 which had a spark die (wire failed) and all that happened was it ran rough, no spluttering around and hestitating like you describe, it just sounded like a chainsaw and shook due to the uneven firing.

I'd still be looking at the fuel system rather than spark, but if you pull a bad plug I'll be happy to admit I was wrong :P

Bad sensor in the air meter causing the ecu to tell the injectors to pump the wrong amounts of fuel?

I've checked the vacuum lines and they seems fine. I'm adding a fuel pressure gauge to check that today. The new plugs i put in yesterday are black. Is it possible that my fuel system is overpowering the stock fpr and causing the car to run rich? I have a walbro 255 pump with -8 feed line. The injectors are stock as is the fpr. I've modifed the fuel rail to accept -8 feed line and -6 return line? How do i check to see if my stock MAF is working correctly?

What was the problem?

I'm having a similar issue in my FWD SR20DET in my sentra. On those forums, they say the stock FPR is crappy with higher flow pumps.

You might want to check this out:

http://www.frsport.com/SARD-Fuel-Pressure-Regulator-Adapter-FPR_p_1361.html

Or you can gut the stock FPR to run an aftermarket one.

Mario