HybridZ

Central exhaust pipe

Chartoo

• 4 weeks later...
i know that the BRE racing Z's had twin pipes coming from the middle....but i'm sure that required some modification of, if not relocation, the fuel tank....

Nope! They followed the countour of the stock 60L tank, or the optional 100L Rally Tank with nothing more than a heat shield on the top of the pipes. The BRE car had a different fuel system, but the rest of the world using that same exhaust in stock-or-FIA competition using the stock gas tanks did little to nothing to them to run the megaphones straight out the back.

Originally, the Datsun Competition Parts Department had the exhaust systems available with the premuffler in the trans tunnel (acts as a crossover pipe mainly) and the Twice Pipes were flanged just in front, or to the rear (I forget which) of the differential, for easy trackside fittment of either silencers for road use, or megaphones for track-day use. And for quick replacement to prior configuration for the ride home or non-race transit sections between stages.