HybridZ

jeep engine in Z car

Guest michanic220

Guest michanic220

just curious. i've been around jeeps my whole life and love how reliable they are. they also have a great deal or torque and have decent HP ratings. has anyone ever put a jeep engine in a Z car?

Guest michanic220

oh, as much as i would love to do this swap i just have to manny projects. i was just asking if it has ever been done. it would be nice to have a old slant 6 in a z =P~

Was talking about this just yesterday actually. I know the 4.0L I-6 well and was thinking it'd make a good swap. Maybe someday when I have time i'll measure it up and see. I've got a 4.0L stroked to 4.7L putting out some good numbers that might make a good candidate.

This topic comes up here often for some reason.

Here is a thread discussing it. This thread contains links to at least four other threads on the same subject.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=135425

My DD at the moment is a '92 Cherokee with the FI 4.0 inline six Over 200XXX miles on the odometer and it runs perfect. Great motor, and voted one of the most reliable of all time. All kinds of aftermarket support for these as well. Ranging from stroker kits like ZednotZee pointed out, to overbored TB's, to superchargers. You could sure make some impressive torque and power with that extra displacement.

Just don't make the mistake some other people here have. For some reason they try to throw the 4.2L in with the 4.0L crowd, but they are not even in the same category.

Okay then, just read the links we put up for you.

If you want my opinion, it would be a cool idea. I haven't heard of anyone doing it in the past. The main problem I would come across is the financial equation. First you would have to swap a Jeep H.O. 4.0, including custom engine mounts, injection, computer, transmission, custom driveshaft, etc... Next would come any modifications to make more power. All of this work and expense would greatly outweigh building up a potent L series, or just finding a drop in L28ET.

True, the Jeep engine has more displacement, and perhaps some more potential power, but that all comes at a cost. My modified N/A L28 makes about 60-70 more horsepower than my mostly stock Cherokee, and is in a car that weighs 600lbs less. Keeps me happy.

In all fairness, they are both good reliable engines, but why replace something proven, tried and true?