HybridZ

Fuel tank/ pump Questions

At this time I am on a low budget and I need to get my 76 EFI 280Z running.

I plan on going to a junkyard and finding a good fuel pump. I know I can choose (besides an S30 fuel pump) a 280ZX '79-'83 fuel pump but are there any other cars I can pull an external Electric fuel pump out of that will work on my Z.

In the future I would like to change the fuel tank to an internal fuel pump setup. Is there any setups from other vehicles that will fit without too much modifications? I did search on here but yielded no results on this so if anyone can give me some helpful advice I would certainly appreciate it.

thanks!

I beleve any FI fuel pump will work. Instead of buying one from the scrap bin and having to deal with the unkown just buy a Walboro or other "less costly" aftermarket unit. In the long run this may be a easier and less costly approach. Cheak your local NAPA to see what they carry.

Im afraid that I find "a good fuel pump from a junkyard" counter intuitive:confused:

Good luck.

At this time I am on a low budget and I need to get my 76 EFI 280Z running.

I plan on going to a junkyard and finding a good fuel pump. I know I can choose (besides an S30 fuel pump) a 280ZX '79-'83 fuel pump but are there any other cars I can pull an external Electric fuel pump out of that will work on my Z.

In the future I would like to change the fuel tank to an internal fuel pump setup. Is there any setups from other vehicles that will fit without too much modifications? I did search on here but yielded no results on this so if anyone can give me some helpful advice I would certainly appreciate it.

thanks!

I beleve any FI fuel pump will work. Instead of buying one from the scrap bin and having to deal with the unkown just buy a Walboro or other "less costly" aftermarket unit. In the long run this may be a easier and less costly approach. Cheak your local NAPA to see what they carry.

Im afraid that I find "a good fuel pump from a junkyard" counter intuitive:confused:

Good luck.

x2

A 255LPH Walbro can be purchased for less than $150 shipped from http://www.expressfuelpumps.com/. This is where I bought mine from and have been very happy with it.

I also modified the drain plug to be my new pick up, and seems to be working very well.

I know that the 280ZX turbo fuel pump shares the same part # as some of the late 80's/early 90's subaru GL's, Brats, RX, Loyale and XT. It may also share the same part # as the mid 80's Isuzu Impulse.

So you could try to check around for one of those in the junkyards for one of those cars. Bring some alligator clips and a 12V battery and you can check to see if the fuel pumps are still pumping while you are there in the junkyard.

I know that the 280ZX turbo fuel pump shares the same part # as some of the late 80's/early 90's subaru GL's, Brats, RX, Loyale and XT. It may also share the same part # as the mid 80's Isuzu Impulse.

So you could try to check around for one of those in the junkyards for one of those cars. Bring some alligator clips and a 12V battery and you can check to see if the fuel pumps are still pumping while you are there in the junkyard.

Nice, Ill look around for those vehicles if i cant find a Z. I just need this pump to get the Z started and once that happens I will buy a new one and many other new parts.

Nice, Ill look around for those vehicles if i cant find a Z. I just need this pump to get the Z started and once that happens I will buy a new one and many other new parts.

So you're willing to spend extra money on a pump that may or may not work, while planning to buy a new one anyway, why not just skip the interim problem and go for new, saves time and money.

So you're willing to spend extra money on a pump that may or may not work, while planning to buy a new one anyway, why not just skip the interim problem and go for new, saves time and money.

well Its only $20 for a used one so it wouldn't really set me back much.The fuel pump won't solve my problem it will only help me figure out my problem. Plus, I plan on testing the pump before I buy it. I will take advantage of the 30 day return policy so make sure this pump will hold up until I get my wiring straighten out.