HybridZ

Rattling noise. Pilot bushing?

COmputoman

I swapped a engine from a manual 280zx 2+2 into my Auto late 260z a while back ago. After some time I now have started to get a rattle upon acceleration.

I was thinking that it might be the flywheel bolts backing out and rattling with the circular washer that the flybolts go through before they enter the autoflywheel and then into the crank.

After looking at a thread I noticed that manual trans Zs have a bushing in the end of the crank. Is it possible that because i never removed this before installing the flywheel it could have fallen loose and made noise?

here is a picture of the back of the 280 engine before I bolted on the automatic flywheel.

21backoftheengine_com.jpg

P.S. I will be installing the manual from the ZX pretty soon once I buy a clutch kit. If nothing comes out of this thread I will have to get to bottom of this the hard way :).

from my memory .. the aluminum "flexplate" or flywheel should have a spacer behind it which allows the transmission input shaft to fit into.

So it should go in the following order...

Engine crank > aluminum spacer/adapter > flexplate > torque converter.

The pilot bushing supports and stabilizes the input shaft from the manual transmission.

do you still have that spacer?

I might be mistaken.. I'm just trying to recall from my memory..

and I let my manager borrow my damn FSM.. uh oh

Something tells me i did it wrong :cry2::cry2: oh well. Ive been driving my car for about 4 or 5 months like that so far and the only issues are rattle and a flywheel grind a few times.

Ben

Edit: I am reading through the FSM off of xenons site. I cant find a section explaining mounting the flex plate, or anything about the spacer for that matter.