HybridZ

Is this a T5?

Guest boomienutcake

Guest boomienutcake

I've got an '81 parts car I bought for a few bucks, and I'm trying to solve mystery after mystery about this car. The engine happens to be an N42 block and head run on triple Weber carbs.

After pulling the engine and popping the transmission, which APPEARS to be an n/a 5-speed, I see a "T5" stamp at the front of the gearbox, just behind the spline shaft (?). I've also read that the driveshaft for BW T5 trannies has a square shaped flange at the rear, which the one that was equipped DOES have, as opposed to a round flange I can verify on my automatic '79 280zx.

Any thoughts? :confused:

First, please use a descriptive title so that people know what the thread is about. I'm changing it.

Second, what is your question? It's entirely possible that somebody swapped in a T5. People think that they have a strength advantage, so it isn't uncommon for them to be swapped into an NA car. If your question is: Is this a T5, then I think the answer, given that it has T5 stamped on it, is yes.

Guest boomienutcake

Not quite what I was getting at, Jon.

As I said, it APPEARS to be an n/a transmission. There is no "Borg Warner T5" stamp on the externals of the tranny. It is the standard L2 bellhousing, small, 2 piece n/a transmission....though this "T5" stamp I mentioned earlier is throwing me off.

I'm certain you'd agree with me that if I were to sell you this transmission telling you that it was a T5, then later you found it to be something you hadn't wanted, you'd probably be pretty upset, yes? I wouldn't buy a super-duper new cell phone wrapped in in duct tape without knowing for sure the cell phone was, indeed, inside... :wc:

So I suppose I'm asking...is there somehow, someway that somebody would be capable of swapping the internals of the gearbox with that of a T5 type (BW or other), or did I just happen to get a transmission stamped "T5"?

Picture is worth 1273 words.

The T5 was not the only tranny to use a prop shaft with a square flange. The '81 I just took apart for the 5 speed tranny also had a square flange, that matched up with my '73 prop shaft. It was not a T5.

Since you say it looks like the N/A tranny I would say that it is not a T5. T5 could mean just about anything.