HybridZ

400vs 350vs power glide

John C

as the torque input goes up so does the friction so its not a set amount, its generally thought that the th350 absorbs about 20 hp less than the th400 due to its lighter parts and smaller parts but the th350 is also weaker than the th400 and is normally better for under 600hp engine while the th400 is a safer bet when your over 600hp (yes Im well aware that they advertize th350s that will handle 900hp) but in the real world the th400 lasts much longer attached to over 600hp engines than a th350 especially if proper trans coolers and hd parts are installed.

Guest Anonymous

Of the three, since none of them use overdrive, I'd use a powerglide in a heartbeat. If it was a heavy car, no, but light like the Z? Heck yes, it is IMHO a great choice. They can be built to death to handle crazy power, and you only have one shift to worry about. With a short case powerglide a fella might be able to even rig a crossmember off the old Datsun support, but thats speculation as I don't know they're lengths.

You will need either an engine that RPM's pretty good, or gearing lower than whats available in a Datsun rearend IMHO. Probably not a good street tranny though if thats a consideration at all unless it doesn't see extended freeway miles.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

the problem with PG trannys are that you need a really steep gear to get of the line fast. Ratios leave a little to be desired but Yes they are very strong and simple on the inside.

Thanks guys,

I have a turbo 400 now and was wondering if there was much sense changing it.Its been in the car without a problem for two years and wanted something that would rob less hp.I don't want to change it if I can't pick up at least 2 tenths.

John C

Two tenths?!?!?

Uh oh!

I think I know where this is heading... :eek:

While I don't have much experience with switching between 400's and 350's, I do know that alot of powerboaters lose big power when simply switching to a "slightly" larger gear set. It could also be the straight cut gears that are robbing power, but I'd think that the friction loss would be significant on it's own. I've seen 80 mph drops drop down to the mid 70's just by switching the lower units to those with bigger gears. That's a loss of power to the drive unit.

Just run a direct drive and be done with it! bonk.gif

Just my $0.02

-Andy