HybridZ

Room light fuse keeps blowing.

Alright. So I installed a new stereo after removing the stock one and ever since then my dimmer nob stopped working. My voltage meter, oil pressure meter, and shifter console stopped lighting up when they are supposed to. And my room light fuse keeps blowing. It only blows while I'm driving. Sometimes it blows before I'm even out of my driveway but others I can go for a few blocks. I've checked all my wiring and my grounds and it all checks out. I just cant figure out what the problem is. I disconnected the dimmer and drove around but same thing. My friends told me to use a bigger fuse do to using a more powerful stereo and speakers so I have tried different sizes from 10 to 25amp. I don't feel safe going any higher than that. Right now I'm thinking I have a short in my antenna electrical or I'm getting a power surge from my alternator (Seems unlikely to me since that would blow more than one fuse). What do you all think? Any ideas are appreciated.

Kyle

Alright. So I am pretty sure I figured out the issue with the fuse. I've been driving for a couple days with the antenna disconnected and haven't had any trouble at all.

The stereo is wired for power like this:

Battery= blue with red stripe

ACC= yellow with green stripe

Ground= chassis

I realized that my stereo doesn't have a connection for power antenna so I had the antenna running off of the ACC wire. Probably not the best idea but I installed the stereo at 4am so I wasn't really using my head. Still doesn't explain why my gauge lights arnt working. :(

Alright. So I am pretty sure I figured out the issue with the fuse. I've been driving for a couple days with the antenna disconnected and haven't had any trouble at all.

The stereo is wired for power like this:

Battery= blue with red stripe

ACC= yellow with green stripe

Ground= chassis

I realized that my stereo doesn't have a connection for power antenna so I had the antenna running off of the ACC wire. Probably not the best idea but I installed the stereo at 4am so I wasn't really using my head. Still doesn't explain why my gauge lights arnt working. :(

Telling me color assignments doesn't help. WHERE are those wires tied in, that's the question. The last paragraph is the kinda info that we need. It sounds like you already realized what was wrong. You can't pull big amps for an add-on through an existing fused circuit. It doesn't have the allowance to feed it (or it shouldn't). Get a relay to kick on with the ACC wire and feed to the radio with that (plus an appropriate fuse, of course) and you shouldn't have as much of an issue.

• 1 month later...

Alright. I fixed the problem with the fuse and the antenna. But my lights still arn't working. I managed to get my hands behind the gauges with some multimeter probes and found that I am getting power to the lights when the switch is on but only about 2 volts instead of 12. Anyone know what could cause this? I'm going to clean my fuse panel tomorrow and make sure none of my contacts are corroded. How do you remove the dimmer knob from the metal pin? I tried pulling it but it didn't budge and i don't want to break it. Thanks for all the help. :)

Kyle