HybridZ

R200 LSD Question

Danno74Z

I posted this under a different forum on Friday but did not receive any responses so I will try here.

I'm looking at an alternative mounting solution for my LSD. My R200 LSD came from the wreaking yard with the original 300ZX rear mount attached to the finned aluminum cover and is a very strong and well-built mount. With just a little effort it appears that one could use this rubber/steel mount and attach it to the structural member that the mustache bar now attaches. I was curious to see if any members tried doing this. Also, this would eliminate the mustache bar altogether! Datsun seems to have figured out how to mount the LSD R200 in the 300ZX and I would like to utilize this rear diff mounting system. Mike, Pete Blueoval? Thanks.

Danno74Z

Use the search! Check through the ForSale area too. There's a member who sells braces for cars that run those covers - I've got one! This is a VERY GOOD PIECE! It took a little fiddling for a first timer to get it all put together but it's a quality piece at a reasonable cost. Pics on my site should show it along with the fuel cell. So far as I can tell there's no serious downsides to using this thing...

BLKMGK, Mike C,

Below is a picture of the brace both you guys are referring to. Dave Linfoot sells this piece and I too have it. This brace allows one to keep the fined aluminum cover. What I was trying to explain, but I guess unsuccessful was to eliminate the mustache bar by using the differential mount that comes with the LSD from the wrecking yard or at least it came on mine. The mount attaches to the two bolts on the cover and in addition, this mount has a horizontal flat steel plate with 4 holes that somehow bolts to a structural member on the 300ZX frame. I would like to utilize this piece on the first gen Z car. Perhaps nobody knows what I'm talking about or has never seen the 300zx differential mount. I need to find a 300zx and see how the differential is mounted, especially the rear part of the differential.

Danno74Z

rearend.jpg