HybridZ

Solutions for the one-wheel-peel (Welded diff?)

Guest zthang43

Guest zthang43

Now that I've got my 4.3 running well in my Z, I'm getting pretty tired of the ol' one legger of death burnouts. Heck, it does it all the way through the top of third (TH350) so it stops smoking at about 70. The worst though, is when I want to spin the car around real fast using the go pedal, and the inside tire just goes nuts and nothing else happens.

I have the R180 I pulled out of the car when I put in the R200. The R180 looked to be in pretty good shape when I took it apart. I know it's kind of frowned upon, but I was considering welding up the R180 to make it solid, like a spool. I know that I can weld well enough to keep that part from busting loose, especially with the big welder at my friends body shop.

What about the rest of the differential though? I know the R180 isn't as strong, but will it hold up to this? My 4.3 is mostly stock, just a slight cam and a Quadrajet.

Does anyone have experience with either a spool or welded diff in their Z? I'm wondering about the effects on handling. I know that a limited slip makes the car more predictable in a corner, and can safely assume the same for a solid diff, but what about the balance of the car? Will it have a tendency to oversteer more? Will it still turn around in a parking lot as well?

The car is my daily driver, but does see some autocross action occasionally.

What other options have you guys come across? I'm hesitant to use the 3.7:1 limited slip rearend, because without an overdrive I am top speed limited already. What about the Subaru R160 limited slip? I've heard this is better designed and actually stronger than the R180.

Anyway, just wanted to throw this out and get some opinions.

why not? you already have the diff and i assume you have an r200 ready to go right? why not weld it up the r180 i mean and give it a couple good dumps for kicks, my buddy runs one on a stock z and gets more sideways than i do and i have a v8! at least sideways easier, and he will hit a posi burnout on call, and the infamous "triple dog dare ya" thats when you dump the clutch into a power brake in second gear. whoa. but yeah, side effects are that you will get sideways whenever you hit a turn at any speed, and people say im nuts, but it strangely appeals to me. but hey, you will get sideways in a left or right, which to me is better than only getting the left to spin in a left turn any day of the week. if you have it in you to swap motors and trans, i assume doing a rear end wont take you that long should something adverse happen in the event you run a welded diff, but hey these cars were made for kicks right? right???? now show me a two legger!

Guest Anonymous

Welded diff is big fun at autox but way slow. If its just for kicks go ahead and weld it. If you are trying to go fast, it sucks. Also on the street it is unbearable due to wheel hop in any turn. Mark

Guest Anonymous

Wouldnt a welded rear diff really tear up the CV shafts? The only experianc I have had with them at all is selling them to the FWD around here. Zcars aint that big around here... yet.

A welded diff requires a different suspension setup to make it work (and it can be made to work well.) With a welded diff the car will push on corner entry (and most of the way through the corner) unless you can get some large slip angles in the rear and use the throttle to control the car's direction.

With that in mind, you need to move roll stiffness to the rear and learn how to drive a car that has a lot of oversteer. They can be fast but they are tricky to drive fast.

I have been running the stock R180 for 5 years going on 6 and have not broke it yet. smile.gif Been tring just dont have sticky tires.

But the other day Had a Blast playing in the sun with the my Z.

Found it will fly and land soild smile.gif bottom'd out the side pipes with no damage, everything is tight:).

Found out when going through a intersection,tap the brake, then hit the gas. You can leave a two, count them two lines through the intersection and end on the other side smile.gif .

This car is starting to come together.

Oh I almost forgot when I got home I took a light and look under at the poor abused R180 and not to my surprise the pour thing was dripping in happiness, knowing that it is time for the swap, I have a R200 waiting to go in.

Now who can tell where to buy the High energy Poly Bushing?

I just got some money back from an investment and the wife said to buy smile.gif .

Need a Airdam also

Thanks for reading just had to try and tell someone.

Looking to Dyno soon.

Thank all

Adam

i havent tried tapping tne brakes in forward motion, i have discovered that if you

take a left on an intersection hot in first, and hit second and floor it, i will leave a massive

two legger and powerslide viscously, front end in the first lane, door in the middle lane

and the rear end sloshing out into the third lane, thats what gets the girls.

are you running auto and hard tires, that could be the reason that the r180 has been

doing you so good. i run a stick and i think my r200 is about to bow out!

Guest zthang43

Thanks for the input Johnc. That's the kind of thing I'm wondering about.

Does anyone out there have experience with driving a Z with a welded diff on the street?