HybridZ

stalling when pressing the throttle quickly

abe280z

Expert help please.... i did a turbo swap 83zx turbo in a76z body . this engine ran great before the swap. the problem i have now is when i push the throttle quickly the engine wants to stall & sputter but the engine idles great. the only changes i made when i put the engine in the 76z was a new t3t4 turbo,intercooler,manual boost controler,fuel cell,hks blow off valve(venting in the atmosphere)and air fuel ratio gauge. on the air fuel ratio gauge it is showing lean when i press the throttle quickly(red lights)narrow band. no i didnt check the fuel pressure because the fuel pressure regulator was working fine before the swap. i richen the air flow meter,change the timing ,engine still ran the same. i was thinking of buying the Vortec Engine Management Unit 12:1 from summit $150 bucks do you guys think that this will solve my problem? Need Help PLEASE.....abe280z

Wait...............................................

Let me get this straight. Your running a t3/t4 turbo on the stock electronics?? And then you just expected to tweak the afm a little bit to get it to run correctly??

(goes into corner and beats head on the wall for a minute)

K Im back now. Of course your gonna run lean. Your new turbo is flowing more air than your ecu can support. How do you suspect it to get enough fuel. You made no changes to the fuel system. If you up the air going in you HAVE to up the fuel going in also. You cant just bolt on a big turbo and expect it to run correctly.

I know that!!!,#1 i said expert help!!! if you would have read down the thread you would have seen that i was asking about the Fuel Managmemt UNIT, oh, you didnt see that u was in the corner banging your head you didnt even give me any other sergestions in solving my problem. but its ok. someone on this Z sight has a solution. Thanks ABE280Z

do to money shortage i didnt want to go with any fancy megasquirt or standalone ecu. rising rate fuel regulator,larger injectors,cheap piggyback ecu if i got to have it. can it be done ? but i wanted to keep it kind of simple with good power. Also has anyone use that vortec fuel managment unit from summit with factory ecu. if so 10:1, 11:1,12:1 ratio etc. which ratio to use.

Check for vacuum leaks first. I would also check your sensors' connectors as well like the TPS and CHTS, and also at the ecu itself. I ran a t3/to4B (it's the smaller of the t3 hybrids) for a short while on the stock efi, and at low boost, it wasn't a problem. You don't need the Vortech 12:1 as you'll run insanely rich under boost. A set of SVO injectors with a little tweaking of the AFM should allow you to run 10 psi. Just make sure your fuel pump is healthy, or upgrade it to the Walbro as it's not too expensive.

I know that!!!,#1 i said expert help!!! if you would have read down the thread you would have seen that i was asking about the Fuel Managmemt UNIT, oh, you didnt see that u was in the corner banging your head you didnt even give me any other sergestions in solving my problem. but its ok. someone on this Z sight has a solution. Thanks ABE280Z

Lol thats all i have to say about that. Have fun trying to jimmy rig it together.

Oh btw an EXPERT as you put it would tell you to do it correctly with an aftermarket ECU.

Check for vacuum leaks first. I would also check your sensors' connectors as well like the TPS and CHTS, and also at the ecu itself. I ran a t3/to4B (it's the smaller of the t3 hybrids) for a short while on the stock efi, and at low boost, it wasn't a problem. You don't need the Vortech 12:1 as you'll run insanely rich under boost. A set of SVO injectors with a little tweaking of the AFM should allow you to run 10 psi. Just make sure your fuel pump is healthy, or upgrade it to the Walbro as it's not too expensive.

thanks guy :) thats the kind of help am looking for I new someone have been threw this route before. HAVE A BLESS DAY. ABE280Z,

• 2 months later...

well how about this? my idle fuel pressure is 39 psi and raises at when you get on it . it acts like it hits a "fuel cut" around 4k but also backfires. the a/f ratio gauge reads VERY lean (sometimes so lean it doesnt read) even though it has too much fuel pressure which i hear when you run VERY rich it does that. i checked my plugs and sure enough there is soot building up. well i checked my lines and sure enough im using the STOCK return line for the 240. i think thats whats causing my headaches. what do you guys think?

• 10 months later...

I used the stock feed line and the vent line running to the back of my 73 and have had no problems, the vent line is bigger but you have to reroute the vent tube to the return in the tank as on a 73 it might go to the vapor tank.

I didn't believe i have no problems, I dont understand when you say ''soot'' tan or black? if its black ide change my oxegen sensor, my narrow band read terrible lean, checked the plugs and it was way rich, bad o2 on mine.... not 4 hours of running the total swap in my 240. so swap +$40 (not bad but I need to swap o2 again as now im going 88-89 ecu):burnout:

I used the stock feed line and the vent line running to the back of my 73 and have had no problems, the vent line is bigger but you have to reroute the vent tube to the return in the tank as on a 73 it might go to the vapor tank.

I didn't believe i have no problems, I dont understand when you say ''soot'' tan or black? if its black ide change my oxegen sensor, my narrow band read terrible lean, checked the plugs and it was way rich, bad o2 on mine.... not 4 hours of running the total swap in my 240. so swap +$40 (not bad but I need to swap o2 again as now im going 88-89 ecu):burnout: your fp does sound a little high but the stock ecu can adjust for a little high as long as everything else is ok