HybridZ

distributor options JTR

I was wondering what options there are for the JTR kit so i can keep the stock latch, I've seen there are magnetic type which seem to be a lot smaller, anyone used something similar?

Yes, the smaller base diameter distributors should give you about an inch or so of room, I would think. Clearly, that would be the way to go, or you can go LT1 which has the Optispark located at the front of the motor. I have both distributors and I'll end up using the smaller base disty (Mallory) instead of the HEI. I don't have the motor in the car, so I cannot tell you if the Mallory has enough room in the JTR position. It would be nice to keep the stock latch stock :D

Davy

I'll end up using the smaller base disty (Mallory) instead of the HEI. I don't have the motor in the car, so I cannot tell you if the Mallory has enough room in the JTR position. It would be nice to keep the stock latch stock :D

Davy

I have the Mallory in mine but did remove the hood latch. With the stock latch still in place I could see no way to to do any engine work without pulling it back out. The stock latch keeps you from removing the distributor cap.

I have the Mallory in mine but did remove the hood latch. With the stock latch still in place I could see no way to to do any engine work without pulling it back out. The stock latch keeps you from removing the distributor cap.

That's good to know. I'll probably go the hood pin route with my fiberglass hood (not installed). Eh, I have to still make up my mind anyway. Options, options...

Davy

This looks like it might work.

84891_full.jpg

Hmmm, looks like you just need to know the height of the disty from the top of manifold vs the distance to the latch where it really starts to protrude. I thought that someone, someplace did this. It was a few years ago, so I can't recall. It may work.

Davy

i am running a Big HEI but i am doing a trick firewall notch and running my hood on pins.

The firewall doesn't need to be notched when using an HEI in the JTR position. Curious, how is your engine placed? Are you using a kit?

Davy

DavyZ - I did for one http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=137949&highlight=distributor

"Funny, I use this http://www.msdignition.com/product.aspx?id=5709 distributor because of my Tri-Power intake and MSD says it is "CNC machined billet aluminum housing is 3/8†smaller in diameter and 7/8†shorter than conventional Chevy V-8 distributors with the “points†type cap" but they never state the actual size."

"I just went out in the garage and measured my MSD 8570 and its about 6 1/4" high off the manifold and the cap is about 3 1/4" in diameter. Sorry, its hard to get it exact."

BTW the 6 1/4" high is to the top of the center boot and the cap is about 1 1/2" out from the firewall. I can't move the engine any farther back because the 90 degree elbows that go through the firewall for the heater hoses will hit the valve cover. As you can see I don't have a hood latch but it looks like the distributor would easily fit under one because it's 4 1/4" from the bottom of the hood opening sheetmetal (the lip with the weatherstrip on it) to the top of the dizzy.

MSD_Dist_11.jpg

MSD_Dist_2.jpg

Hmmmm... I think I need to clean my rear carb and dust off the dizzy.

Here is a pic of my latch, looks like it might fit, I guess cost is a factor also as a small diameter MSD dizzy with 6AL will cost about $900 AUD and an MSD HEI will be about $200.

distvn4.th.jpgthpix.gif

From my JTR book it says with a HEI the tacho needs to be replaced with a 260z model, is this the case with your dizzy speedracer?

One more option I've been thinking of is modifying the stock hood latch, maybe cutting off the whole bottom section of the support leaving just the top then welding two support arms to the firewall on a wide angle?