HybridZ

r230 stuff

fl327

hey everyone, i know this topic has probably been beat to death just as bad as 4x4 brakes

but i tried doing multiple searches with no real results. i am about to pick up a 300zxtt r230 from

an automatic car and the cv shafts, and want to know:

1. what gear ratio does it have, like a 3.90-4.11 pretty sure its lsd

2. who has or where can i get the connectors to the stub axle side of halfshafts(sorry i dont know the correct name, but its the part of the halfshaft that goes to the inner strut side?)

3. driveshaft flange, should i just grab one from the jy and have the right slip yoke put on the other side?

im pretty sure once i get enough info and get the stuff ready im gonna try to stuff up in there,

its almost perfect timing, frame is almost done being reinforced, but then again i may hold off until i get more parts together.

any help is greatly appreciated, truly.

Leonard

Len,

Sorry no idea on the ratios, mine is from Q45 which is 3.54. Make sure to pick up the driveshaft, if for no other reason than to get the flange.

I will have the adapters to the Z companion flange by next week. You could have them made up yourself pretty easily. I think owen has some pictures of the ones he has had made for his conversion.

Tim

I also just picked up an R230 out of a 300ZX Twin Turbo. The ratio on the turbo cars is 3.6:1 (that's what mine is) and normally aspirated ones are supposed to be 4.08:1. I plan on doing the driveshaft to rear end flange as a fixed one. Here's why. It looks like the stock 300ZX TT driveshaft is constructed to have a certain amount of in and out movement on the rear end side. It is constructed with ball bearings as the torque transmitters, similar to how the inner CV joint works. It even has a bellows type rubber cover on it to allow for some in and out movement. Although I haven't verified it, I bet the other end of the driveshaft attaches to the transmission with no in and out movement. Since most of us are using trannies with splined output shafts and a yoke that allows in and out movement, we wouldn't really want any in and out movement on the other end of the driveshaft, too. I'm wrestling with this same issue on the half shafts. I know some of you here who have done this swap have used the inner CV joint on the outer part of the shaft, meaning that you have an identical CV on each end. This allows the shaft to move in both directions, which just doesn't seem right. The stock setup only allows movement on the inner side. I'm still trying to figure out how to do the outer side so there won't be any movement there. Any further thoughts on this "movement-in-both-directions" issue by anyone? Or is it not worth worrying about?

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

Guest Anonymous

Mike,

I have been runing the r-230 for several (2 or 3) years now. The movement of the shaft is something to be concerned about. The shaft will tend to drift toward the conter of the car and deform the end cap on the cv to the point of pulling the sahft out of the outer cv. This has happened on both sides and the shaft always moved to the center of the car. I made an end cap out of a large washer that had to be turned down slightly on a lathe. This acts as a stop to keep the shaft in the CV's. When the shaft came loose from the outer CV it was not a big deal. No parts fell off the car, nothing locked up, just lost power to that wheel. I have a pic of this end cap

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/mwicard/vwp?.dir=/&.src=ph&.dnm=Mvc-008s.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/mwicard/lst%3f%26.dir=/%26.src=ph%26.view=t

Other pics show this installed, Seems to work well so far. Mark