HybridZ

electrical/efi problem

hi all,

drove my car on thursday with no issues at all. on friday morning when i went out to start it i could hear the fuel pump running (the key was not in the car just so we are clear on that one). I turned the key on then off and the fuel pump shut off, and when i tried to start it it wouldnt, and the battery died shortly thereafter. i charged up the battery and tried to start it again, and after that the feul pump stays on full time. i pulled the plug from the back of the ignition switch to make sure and that didnt work, so i pulled the small silver relay box from under the dash and the pump has now stopped. upon feeling the feul rail with the pump running it felt like gas was continually running through the pipe.

a. what is the little relay box under the dash called? it has two seperate plugs on it? its all corroded so i assume its part of the problem.

b. could the fuel regulator be possibly faulty.

its a 1975 280z btw.

Thanks in advance to any replies.

You've got an electrical problem somewhere, likely a short or grounding issue.

No, the spark signal comes from the distributor. The fuel pump shouldn't run without the key in the "on" position. Until you find this out and fix it, there is no telling what the issue is. Shorts and grounds can cause back-circuits and all kinds of wierd things begin to happen.

This likely caused your EFI relay issue. Replacing it with a new one will likely result in a new burned up relay.

Time to pull out your voltameter and trace the battery drain to the source

just figured it all out last night. i replaced the little double relay box as it was corroded beyhond repair. It still wouldnt start but the fuel pump didnt run constantly. pulled the connector to the cold start injector and turned it over. it started right up. Shut it down and reconnected the injector and everything seems to be working now. Thanks for your reply :). im just glad to have my z back.

• 3 weeks later...