HybridZ

Engine of the future?

Z-Dreamer

I think perfect engine balance was mentioned

"Constant suction and compression by the piston eliminates the throw and, consequently, the vertical vibration. Since the expansion occurs outside of the cylinder, the piston’s weight is reduced to a minimum and is perfectly balanced with the crankshaft to minimize or eliminate the horizontal vibration."

Thing Ive always thought about was how long was it between the gas engine and the previous significant engine. Say the electric, or steam. I figure there will be the same amount of time or more inbetween the invention of the gas engine and the next revolutionary invention. Anyone agree...

Hi Challenger, I totally agree and wonder that myself...

What is invented and what is implemented into production and status quo is another discussion altogether...

As I walk around my neighborhood, I cross some old concrete bridges...some of them say "made in 19XX for the Portland electric trolly". If you pay close attention, all the roads / bridges / infrastructure is based upon the (currently implemented) technology

Yes, I agree that we are in need of a new "revolutionary technology" but it hasn't happened yet. Electric cars used to be more popular than IC cars. In the infancy, we had no "gas stations" what we had were horse-driven carts, like taxis, filling up cars on the street (like a waitress at a bar, hehe) who knows what octane, methanol, ethanol, etc. we were using. :wink:...I digress...

The way I see it is that we have only so many fuel and energy types (chemical, electro-magnetic, thermal, solar and nuclear). We can only make engines work with what we have, and we can only design the engine to harness the energy with what materials, machining processes and tolerances we have at hand.

I'd love to see a 1000 HP engine that doesn't have any impact on the environment (until you take a corner too fast or else the brakes can't handle :icon54::icon14:)

It is true, you can design the engine to use different thermodynamic cycles (Diesel, Otto, etc.) However, if the Carnot efficiency holds true, we cannot gain above ~33% efficiency in an engine.

What I would like to see is something based upon Tesla technology where we'd use the resonant frequency of the Earth to harness magnetic (and maybe anti-grav stuff) to make "free" energy vehicles. Sunday Sci-Fi... :roll::D