HybridZ

Best methods for repairing door dings, dents, and scratches?

RaDeuX

Found a really cheap Z, but it's awfully beat up and I'm not sure I'll be able to fix it up. Number one issue here is all the dents and door dings on the car. Someone told me the best method is to get PDR tools, but where would you get those tools as well as instructions on how to use them?

I'll jump in since I've been fighting with this problem myself. You can get this tool

http://www.dingking.tv/Ding-King-Twist-A-Dent-Kit?leadsource=PS112&s_kwcid=ding-king|1530747919&gclid=CL6Wi6WvpZYCFQENgQodRBvL6g

It works pretty well on some dents, but it really depends on the type of dent. Doesn't seem to pull hail dents out to well. Also once you remove the glue with the remover, you can still see it on the car. So you would need to find someway to remove those spots.

If you do have hail type dents the method I like best so far is to get a torch (I used my kitchen torch for doing creme brulee), heat the dent pretty good, then hit it with an upside down bottle of compressed air. You actually get to hear the dent pop back into place. I'm told dry ice works better, but I can't find any dry ice local. The downside to this method is any paint you may have had will be ruined and the dents still aren't perfect when you're done.

And finally when all else fails I suggest

How to Paint Your Car on a Budget by Pat Ganahl. Look it up on Amazon. It talks in great detail about what you would need to do to correct any type of body issues. In my case it pointed out that I am NOT the type of person to paint the car myself and it would be best that I let someone else do it. At least I know that now instead of 6 months at $1000 worth of paint supplies later.

Hope it helps

-polarity

I've tried the dry ice method yesterday. I got some at Lucky's and they're a little pricey I have to say. I went over to Office Depot and got 3 compressed air cans and tried it out. Neither are all too effective I have to say (dents are less noticeable, but still there). Then again these are door dings that are fairly small anyway. I have a massive dent on the lower rear from an idiot with an SUV that hit me, so I'm going to try to fix that with the dry ice method but use a better heat source (I've been using a hairdryer to heat things up)

I appreciate your input, and I ordered that book a few moments ago.

Oh by the way, I'm testing this all out on my Integra.

Best of luck, after reading the book he explains many methods for many types of dents. Lucky for me I just ripped a fender off the car when the wheel came off (one less fender to repair now, ordered a new one from Z Car Source). If you're made of money I suggest popping your wheels off 1 at a time while you drive until you've ordered a completely new car.

Just kidding on that last bit, but please post back with what/how you do finally fix this pesky little dents.

-polarity

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
heat, and cold probably wont pop door dings and any kind of creased dents.

stud gun and body hammers are going to be your best bet. Sounds like you have spare panels to practice on which is a good way to get the hang of body work.

right on. stud gun, body hammers and a little bit of bondo to get it right.