HybridZ

MS Ignition Relay Tap Location

TrumpetRhapsody

Hopefully this hasn't been addressed before (probably has :roll:)

I've read through the Megamanual and Mobythevan's writeup several times.

Searched a bit, and found more dealing with spark than stock ignition wiring.

FSM tells me a little, but hasn't filled in all the dots.

I went searching with a multimeter at the business end of the ignition switch for the Ignition signal that gives +12v in the run and cranking positions. Weird thing is, the only wire that fits the bill (blue with red stripe) drops to around +4v while in the cranking position. Pretty sure that will close the main relay, and kill power to MS during cranking. I had the starter disconnected, so current drain from there isn't the issue.

Am I on track here, or totally off base? :confused:

Won't the ballast resistor come into play by doing that? I've removed the stock coil and ballast resistor, so if I pick either of the two that previously went to the resistor, I'll lose connection in either the run position, or crank position.

At least that was the case when I wasn't running the resistor early in my build, and was trying to drive the stock coil with either of the two leads supposed to be going to the resistor.

I hope makes sense, lol. Maybe I'm overthinking this. I'll dig back out the multimeter and go coil wire hunting when i get off work.

As far as the relays and current, I was just worried that 4v wouldn't be enough voltage to trigger them to close while cranking.