HybridZ

My brake light is on!?

I hit the search button with no luck my key word was Brake LIGHT ON

I own a 78 280Z and I noticed that my brake light will be on until I drive for a few miles on the highway and then will go out after that distance.I know for sure my EB switch in working condition and the brake fluid level is normal....so what is making the brake light will go on then after while driving will go out?

Also do you know wher is the best place to install a fuel prusser gauge on the system?

Thank you guys for the help in advance.

i also have a 78 Z :D

but yea...mine did the same thing a couple months ago for maybe a...week? but it hasn't done it since. i wouldn't worry about it unless it really bugs you...but if you want to fixit, my first guess would be the handbrake itself. check the switch...maybe it isn't making full contact and jus needs to be adjusted???

i also have a 78 Z :D

but yea...mine did the same thing a couple months ago for maybe a...week? but it hasn't done it since. i wouldn't worry about it unless it really bugs you...but if you want to fixit, my first guess would be the handbrake itself. check the switch...maybe it isn't making full contact and jus needs to be adjusted???

My EB switch is working fine....Thanks though

Have you tried unplugging it to see if the light goes out? Mine used to stay on so i just unplugged it. Also If im not mistaken the brake light comes on when there is an imbalance in the brake system. At least on my 74 below the mastercylinder on the fender there is a balance thingy(cant think of the correct word right now) that has an electrical plug on the middle of it It has brake lines going in and out of it. Ive been told that if there is an imbalance in the brake system say you have a leak somewhere in the rear. A little plunger on the inside of the balance thing would get pushed one way because the front brake system is stonger than the rear and makes contact with the wire and turns your brake light on. Hope that helps. It should be in the FSM

Have you tried unplugging it to see if the light goes out? Mine used to stay on so i just unplugged it. Also If im not mistaken the brake light comes on when there is an imbalance in the brake system. At least on my 74 below the mastercylinder on the fender there is a balance thingy(cant think of the correct word right now) that has an electrical plug on the middle of it It has brake lines going in and out of it. Ive been told that if there is an imbalance in the brake system say you have a leak somewhere in the rear. A little plunger on the inside of the balance thing would get pushed one way because the front brake system is stonger than the rear and makes contact with the wire and turns your brake light on. Hope that helps. It should be in the FSM

I did disconect the wire and the same thing happend...I believe or I heard read some where that the light will indecate for somthing going wrong!!

Jefer949 is correct. The light either indicates the ebrake handle is up a bit (on) or that there is an imbalance in the braking system. This could be due to a leak or air in the brake lines. Is your pedal initially mushy and then pumps up?

What wires did you disconnect? Did you disconnect the ones at the ebrake or on the balance valve under the master cylinder? I believe the ones under the master cylinder was what he meant.