HybridZ

brake master cylinder making noise 77 280z

Guest klinc

Im trying to bleed the brakes and I have a hissing noise coming from the master cylinder. i found a leak from the cap only. so I order 2 new ones. still hear noise. Is that common? any help would be great

After a few pumps??? Sounds like you need a new brake master cylinder. The test for that is to very slowly put pressure on the brake pedal. If it goes to the floor, then your master is bad.

Once that is fixed then you can check the booster. The idea is that the booster should hold vacuum after the car is turned off, so if your engine dies for some reason when you're driving you still have several power assisted stops before you run out of power brakes. If you step on the brake with the car off and the pedal feels rock hard, that is an indication that you're losing the vacuum in the booster. You can't really do that test if the master is bad.

It is tough to diagnose problems over the internet but I think in all likelihood you need a master cylinder and a booster.