HybridZ

77 4speed to 81 5speed

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I heard a while back that if i swap my 4 for the 5 speed that i would need to switch rear ends also. Im just trying to double check on this before i go through the trouble of taking out both rear ends. Also any advice on a clutch upgrade for the street.

Thanx:cheers:

Steve D

www.my 280zmail@yahoo.com

Guest Anonymous

No need to change rear ends since your early standard Datsun 4 and 5 speed should be very similar in gear ratios with one (5 speed) having an extra over drive gear. I put a 4 speed from a pickup in a 280 Z once and found it was fairly snappy in second gear.Years ago, many people believed that automatic transmissions and manual transmissions required differeft rear ends for gas mileage and power reasons

You don't HAVE to change rears, but the '81 5 speed first gear SUCKS! It's like 2.8 vs. the 4 speeds 3.3 3.3*3.54=11.682 and 2.8*3.54=9.912 or nearly 20% reduction of gear ration in first gear. Changing to the 3.90 gear will help, but will reduce the overdrive effect if that's what your goal is. I put a '79 5 speed in my car which has the 3.0 first gear and went to 3.54 from 3.36 reaar gear, but it still lacks the snap it had with the 4 speed. THe solution is the T5 which has a 3.27 first and a better overdrive, but they are harder to find and more $

Steve:

I have a '77 that I swapped out the 4-spd and 3.54:1 differential for an '83 5-spd. and 3.90 differential. If you go with the 81-83 5-spd. you will need to do the differential swap or your car will accellerate like a slug. The new combination will give you equivalent accelleration in 1st & 2nd to the old 4-spd. & 3.54:1 but will be noticably stronger in 3rd & 4th with 5th for a really nice cruising gear. You have the best transmission but don't ruin it by not changing the differential to the 3.90:1.

Phantom