HybridZ

how to mount turbo

rdsk8ter

Ok before you think im lame this is a serious question. I have a s400 im mounting this thing is really heavy would i be better off to make a mount off the motor or frame rail and put a flex pipe to the headers? There will only be 1 silicone 90 befor the intercooler so I dont think I will have enough flex to mount it off the engine but thats why I am posting here

Connect the support mount to the motor. If you connect it to the frame, it will likely stress it every time you rev the motor (because the motor moves... that's why they invented rubber motor mounts) and eventually break or cause some other damage.

so your sayin the silcone 90 will have enough flex to cover the movement of the engine? there will only be about 10" of pipe between the intercooler and the turbo.

I would not mount the turbo to the frame. I know its heavy (i think 46 pounds). Set the turbo in there, then imagine the headers going to the turbo and EVERY aspect, (air filter, wastegate, hot side, cold side, oil feed, oil return, is the return at the turbo higher than in the pan, ect.) Build the headers. You will probably need to build two because if you're like me, I forget something and didn't have enough clearance for it. That turbo is a MONSTER and A pain. I saw your pictures and thats near the location of my first design which would've been good but I didn't like the headers.

Weld a chain to the frame and then bolt it to the block. Little engine movement ;)

With the Flex Pipe- Most guys don't use them anymore because they come apart and send it through the turbo. The bad without using one is the header are more prone to cracking, but to put a patch of weld over the crack is cheaper than fixing a turbo.

I would not mount the turbo to the frame. I know its heavy (i think 46 pounds). Set the turbo in there, then imagine the headers going to the turbo and EVERY aspect, (air filter, wastegate, hot side, cold side, oil feed, oil return, is the return at the turbo higher than in the pan, ect.) Build the headers. You will probably need to build two because if you're like me, I forget something and didn't have enough clearance for it. That turbo is a MONSTER and A pain. I saw your pictures and thats near the location of my first design which would've been good but I didn't like the headers.

Weld a chain to the frame and then bolt it to the block. Little engine movement ;)

With the Flex Pipe- Most guys don't use them anymore because they come apart and send it through the turbo. The bad without using one is the header are more prone to cracking, but to put a patch of weld over the crack is cheaper than fixing a turbo.

welding a chain is pretty old school. there are pretty effective engine dampers available. you may just have to make a custom bracket to make one work.

brace it to the engine, but try to create a triangle with your brace with two points vertical on the engine and the third above the anchor point on the turbo.

flex pipes are more common in downpipes now. i've never seen them in turbo manifolds, n/a headers yes, but not turbo manifolds.

a properly built and welded manifold should never crack.

welding a chain is pretty old school. there are pretty effective engine dampers available. you may just have to make a custom bracket to make one work.

brace it to the engine, but try to create a triangle with your brace with two points vertical on the engine and the third above the anchor point on the turbo.

flex pipes are more common in downpipes now. i've never seen them in turbo manifolds, n/a headers yes, but not turbo manifolds.

a properly built and welded manifold should never crack.

Yes the chain is old school, but still effective. I spent 5 dollars for hardened chain compared to 100+ for a damper and that's why I used the chain. Attached is a picture of flex pipe being used on the crossover pipe for the hot side. Some people experience cracked headers and some people never experience them.

index.php_thumb.jpg

yeah, i'd almost consider that flex like an up pipe or something. i'd add one in that instance as well. i've never seen them on the actual runners of a manifold though.

Actually that guy took it off because it sent fragments up through his turbo. I hardly see anybody using them anymore because of this. Its cheaper to weld a cracked header (if it does crack) then fix a turbo.