HybridZ

Ran into a problem installing tokicos

Hey guys

I have been working on my rear suspension replacing shocks and springs and have run into an issue. I forgot to use the new nut that threads onto the top of the strut tube. Instead I accidentally picked up the old nut. The old nut threaded on pretty well at first, but the nylon locking threads became a lot more difficult to thread. It got to the point where it broke the inner strut tube free and stripped the flat side of the hat that keeps the inner tube from turning.. once I noticed all of this was happening I no longer had the option of loosening the nut because it would just spin the inner tube freely.

When assembling the other side I did not have this problem of course because I used the non nylon threaded nuts.

Here Is a picture to describe what happened a little better.

avllog.jpg

PS In this illustration it doesn't show that I have a spring installed

Thanks for any ideas

Ben

So it sounds like you have to hold the strut shaft firmly without gouging it. See if you can get a strap wrench around the strut shaft. If that doesn't work, try some vise grips but you MUST protect that shaft. Any nicks and you ruin the strut. I would use rubber rather than cloth between the vise grips and the shaft.

Don't forget to have the spring compressed when you do this!!!

I use a strap wrench. If you have a 3/8" drive impact gun it makes it a lot easier. Hopefully you haven't stripped the threads on top of the shock.

A last resort option is to get a wrench in the coils and loosen/remove the gland nut. That will let you pull the shock and spring off of the strut.